28

Arthur had pointed out and asked questions about almost everything as Merlin drove, and Merlin answered all his questions...not exactly patiently...but at least he answered them. Arthur had even made multiple cases for Merlin to pull over so that he could inspect various things. These requests Merlin did not comply with. Arthur was like a child, staring at a world that he was so excited to discover all the intricacies of, and Merlin would be lying if he claimed not to find it endearing. 

He also had a bit of a difficult time keeping his eyes on the road, because Arthur, despite not having much experience dressing himself, cleaned up very well. Modern clothes were a good look on him. A very good look on him. 

"Why do you keep staring at me?"

"I'm just not used to seeing you in modern clothes." Merlin made a conscious effort to watch the road for the rest of the drive, and mostly succeeded.

------------------

Iris was there. She was sitting at her desk like usual, chewing on the tip of a red pen, which for some reason seemed at odds with what Merlin was expecting. It made perfect sense, which was perhaps why it felt wrong. It was too normal.

Arthur followed Merlin's gaze. "Is that her?" Merlin just walked up to her, Arthur trailing behind him. Iris looked up from the case file she'd been reading. Her gaze wasn't friendly, but it also wasn't hostile, which Merlin considered a win. 

"Thought you might want this," he said, and held out to-go container of coffee. Iris looked from his hand to his face and he offered her a tentative smile. She took the coffee, and then looked past Merlin at Arthur. They inspected each other for a long moment, identifying what exactly made them alike enough for Merlin to have become so close with each one. Iris looked away first, back to Merlin.

"I didn't realize it was bring your boyfriend to work day." 

Merlin wanted to jump for joy. "You bring your girlfriend every day," he shot back, and Iris smiled. "Smiled" might be the wrong word, but her lips definitely at least twitched. "Speaking of your girlfriend, we have a meeting. Drink the coffee. Maybe it'll get you to stop chewing that infernal pen."

"Shove off," she said, and went back to the case file, purposefully setting the coffee down and sticking the tip of the pen back between her lips. 

Merlin practically skipped toward the elevator. "She's...charming," Arthur said uncertainly when they stepped inside.

"She's really not," Merlin replied with a massive grin.

"Are you not normally permitted to bring people here?" Arthur asked, and Merlin frowned, wondering where that had come from.

"I mean it's not technically against the rules, just a bit unorthodox." 

"Then why did she ask if it was bring your boy friend to work today? And what is the significance of gender?" Merlin had been so caught up in happiness at having some of their normal banter back that he wasn't even paying attention to what they'd been saying. The elevator dinged and doors opened on Freya's floor. Saved by the actual bell-chime.

"What is that noise?" Arthur asked, looking around in confusion.

"Freya's music." Merlin led the way, stopping outside the sliding glass doors to Freya's lab, where, even with the door closed, the music was loud enough for Merlin to have to raise his voice. Normally she'd be wearing headphones. According to Freya, it was like pumping music into her actual veins, and for her, that was a good thing. This time though, the loud heavy metal was there for everyone to hear.

"That is not music." Arthur actually looked slightly disgusted. It certainly wasn't the acoustic chamber music that he was used to.

"It is in this time." The glass doors opened when they drew near, just in time for Freya to turn around.