23

Both Merlin and Iris had been cleared for active duty and returned to work the next day. Throughout the day, despite Merlin's attempts at conversation, they never spoke more than a few words. He had hoped that she would be recovering from whatever she was going through, but he'd also been alive long enough to know that that wasn't how trauma worked. 

Dr. Parra had been no more than an annoyance to him, but Iris might have actually been able to use him. Not anymore though. Merlin knew she'd never go back on her own. He'd considered just telling her to go see someone, but knew that wouldn't go over well at all, and their relationship was strained as it is. The only thing he was seriously considering as an option was something he also didn't want to do, but after that day of his best friend not-at-all-subtly ignoring him, he felt he really had no other choice.

She needed to talk to someone, even if it wasn't him. So that was how he found himself going down to Freya's lab the day after, rehearsing his speech in his head and hoping Iris would forgive him for going behind her back; one day. 

Freya was typing on her computer when he entered, and for once she wasn't blasting music, so she heard the electronic hiss of the doors as they slid open.

"Hey babe. You're early. Though we weren't doing lunch until eleven thirty." Freya turned and her bright smile dropped when she saw him. "Oh. Hello Merlin." She was looking at him like he had killed her favorite puppy, and it hurt, but he also understood. Iris would always come before the friendship that Freya and Merlin had.

"I need to talk to you," Merlin said.

"Really? Never would have guessed." Clearly Iris was rubbing off on her.

"Fair enough. It's about Iris." Her frown deepened.

"You've come down here to have a conversation about my girlfriend behind her back?"

"It's important. You know I would go straight to her if I could."

"Would you?" Freya questioned. Apparently, Iris wasn't as okay with the tension in their relationship as she seemed if Freya knew about it. It gave Merlin hope.

"She won't listen to me right now. You know that," Merlin pressed. "And I deserve it. I lied to her, and she needs time, and I understand that, but I can't stand by and watch her fall apart without doing anything. And she is falling apart. She needs to talk to someone, even if that someone isn't me." He paused, trying to gather his thoughts. "Please make sure she gets the help she needs. Please. She's holding all of this resentment and anger and grief inside." An image of a different woman that he had once called a friend flashed in front of his eyes. A woman that he had driven a sword through the heart of.

"Please." I can't let it happen again. He would not allow another friend to go down a darker path than they were meant for. Because, despite what Kilgarrah had prophesized, Merlin did not believe that Morgana couldn't have been saved, if only they'd had an actual conversation about what she was going through. If only they hadn't hidden her magic from her. If only Uther hadn't been such a massive dick. If only...

Freya saw the emotions flash behind his eyes, and although she didn't know what they meant, she knew that he was here, begging her, to help Iris. And Freya would do anything for Iris, and, even though she was upset with him, she knew she'd do nearly anything for Merlin as well. He was good, she'd always known that, from the moment she'd first seen that brief vision of a glowing gold aura around him. 

"I'll make sure she gets the help she needs," she said quietly, offering up the smallest of sympathetic smiles. It was all she could give him at the moment, but it was enough, as he felt relief wash through his entire body.

"Thank you, Freya." 

------------------

As he walked out of the station to go get some coffee (the stuff in the station was actually the worst in the world - and he'd know), Merlin felt his phone buzz in his pocket. His spirits had been lifted considerably since his talk with Freya. But when he looked at the Caller ID, he felt his heartbeat speed up. He couldn't answer fast enough.

"Hello?"

"Is this Constantine Mukesha?"

"Speaking."

"We are calling to inform you that your paperwork has been approved. We would like to schedule a time to release Arthur Smith into your custody."

"Of course." Merlin had stopped walking in his surprise but started up again when someone slammed into his back and glared at him for getting in their way. He had set up Arthur's alias as he'd filled out the paperwork, giving him a last name other than 'Pendragon' which could theoretically arouse suspicion for anyone who knew a bit about the Camelot myths.

"We are open seven days a week, from nine to six." Merlin drew the phone briefly away from his ear and checked the time, factoring in how long the drive would take.

"I can head over now. I would be there around four-thirty," he said once he'd brought the phone back up.

"Okay. I will pencil you in for today at four-thirty. We look forward to seeing you Mr. Mukesha."

"Thank you." He hung up the phone and turned on his heel to go back to the station. Coffee could wait.

------------------

The walk into Shady Grove was surreal. Merlin could hardly comprehend that this was happening. He was bringing Arthur home with him. Today. Right now. Sure, there was all of this shit going on with Charles Brundige, and his mysterious connection to Emma, but none of that mattered in this moment.

Because Arthur was brought out into the waiting room, looking like he always did, as if he owned the entire world, and Merlin could hardly breathe. This was happening. This was actually happening.

Arthur looked at him, and he smiled, and in their minds, it was just the two of them, reunited after so many hundreds of years apart. 

"About time," Arthur said, smile tugging at the corner of his lips. 

"So sorry your majesty," Merlin replied with a teasing bow. 

"There's just one more release form for you to sign," one of the people escorting Arthur said, bringing a clipboard up to Merlin. He looked it over, and then, with a slightly shaking hand, signed the signature of Constantine Mukesha. It would all check out. Magic could make life a lot more convenient.

They were escorted to the door, and then they were walking away, down the same steps that Charles Brundige had walked down to Emma when he'd been released. Merlin pushed the feeling of deja vu away. He wanted to focus on the moment. He looked over at Arthur, beside him at last, where he belonged.

Maybe things weren't completely good at the moment, but he had Arthur back. So even if things weren't good, they were okay, at least for the moment. 

It's been so many months. Whoops. But I took my last AP test yesterday, so I no longer have to study for anything. Yay for my teachers deciding they don't want to grade finals. All this to say, we're back with more frequent chapters. Yay! See you next time.

xoxo

-Sierra <3