Chapter 12 ~ The Nature of Their Hearts

Grisa Hollingdale was described as a someone with a kind, giving nature–someone confident, genuine, sympathetic, and understanding. Most importantly, she was someone who believed that no one should have poorer life chances because of the way they were born, or where they came from.

She narrowed her eyes at Axil, her delicate lips curling into a frown. Dylan, who was watching the girl's eyes glowing with fire, shook her head sadly.

'It really isn't fairshe's too pretty.'

The bright red hue of Grisa's hair reminded Dylan of summertime. Its strands, as smooth and lovely as silk, tumbled over her shoulders effortlessly. Grisa's eyelashes were long and velvety, framing her doll-like eyes that shone a mysterious green. They were like two shiny jewels melted onto snow—a description fitting of her porcelain white skin.

"I don't understand how you can just..." Her voice trailed off as anger suppressed her words.

"I, I apologize," Dylan said, bowing her head. "It's my fault. Since I was once a commoner, my older brother was only reminding me that I am still dirty and vulgar because of my blood." 

"That is not what happened!" Axil desperately tried to protest. 

Grisa glanced sideways at Dylan. Seeing her crying and shaking like crazy, she clicked her tongue and said, "You expect me to believe that she's the problem here?"

Axil gritted his teeth. "Why do you care? This is a family issue, so it shouldn't concern you."

'And this is why you're the second male lead.'

"I think the only one with an issue here is you," Grisa retorted, instinctively reaching an arm out to shield Dylan. "Leave her alone. Even is she was once a commoner, she is now a student representative of Faerchester—a Red Coat one, too!"

"She's my sister, so who are you to tell me how to treat her?" he asked, anger burning through him. "She's mine, so step out of the way!"

She refused to back down, unwilling to let his anger reach Dylan.

"Th-thank you," Dylan said, batting her eyelashes dramatically. "I was so scared."

Grisa's angry expression softened immediately when she turned towards Dylan. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that," she said. "Come on, let's take you to the academy's physician."

'As expected of the soft-hearted heroine.'

"Are you seriously helping her right now?" Axil asked with an irritated tone. "She's a dirty and vulgar bitch!" 

Grisa's face hardened at hearing his words. "No," she said, turning to face him. "The dirty and vulgar one here is you, sir."

Dylan gave Axil one last smirk as Grisa dragged her away by her sleeve.

'If you want to bother me, I'll make sure the whole world knows what kind of despicable man you are.'

***

Dylan frowned as the academy physician smiled at her in a cold and distant way. It was a fake smile—one professionals often made. 

She found it awfully hard to relax around him as he shuffled through her health records. Doctor Peregrine had written to him ahead of time, since Dylan's health required extra care. 

She could only imagine what he was thinking. Her health was a disaster: from her trauma-related eating disorder to the long-term effects of malnourishment—the records contained traces of the scars left on Dylan's heart. 

Grisa, who had dragged her to his office, refused to leave until Dylan's swollen cheek had been treated. She smiled sweetly, resting her head on her Dylan's frail shoulder. Dylan trembled slightly at the contact, but Grisa hadn't noticed the discomfort lingering in the air.

'I only wanted to shake up the relationship between her and my brother. I don't understand why she's doing this.'

Grisa raised her head. "Are you okay, Lady Dylan?"

Dylan subconsciously let out a breath of relief at being liberated from her touch. "Yes, thank you for your concern. However, you don't need to wait here for me, Lady Grisa. It appears I've troubled you." 

"Don't be silly," Grisa said, gently tucking Dylan's hair behind her ears. It was an affectionate gesture, one Dylan wasn't accustomed to. 

'I can see why all the male leads fell for her.'

The Doctor cleared his throat, glancing up from the records with concerned eyes. "How are you feeling, milady?"

She wasn't as hurt as it seemed, but the man's gaze made her feel self-conscious.

"I'm okay, it just stings a little."

"And the... other things? Are you eating well and taking your medicine?"

Dylan nodded, her fingers gently caressing where she had been hit. A vivid purple bruise had settled on her pale skin, the top of it rounding in the shape of Axil's fingertips. 

"Other things?" questioned Grisa. At that moment, her smooth forehead wrinkled. "Are you ill, Lady Dylan?"

Dylan's gaze grew uneasy. Grisa's kindness now would not guarantee Dylan's safety in the future. In fact, it was better to stay away from her altogether. 

"It's nothing," Dylan said, averting her eyes from Grisa's burning stare. "Thank you for your concern, but it's not something worth worrying about."

Grisa—the lovable and pure girl—had a heart of pure gold. She had a childhood filled with love and happiness, contributing to the beautiful way she viewed the world around her. Grisa's world was filled with colour. 

Dylan—on the other hand—had a heart that was heavily plagued by her past and the origins of her birth. She was someone who was suffocating under the weight of the world around her. Dylan's world was only black and white. 

Even if she wanted to be friends with the girl, the nature of their hearts was just too different. 

'A heroine can't be friends with a villainess.'

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

What do you guys think about Grisa? Comment your opinions! Your feedback will determine how I write her character in the upcoming chapters.