Chapter 60 ~ What It Means to Love Someone

"He touched her, lightly and gently, with a single finger. He traced the words I love you. Over and over on her skin."

***

Dylan called for one of the servants to have a carriage prepared at once. She stood patiently in the courtyard as the sun rose and flooded the courtyard with its light. She had to return to Faerchester Academy to meet with Caspian.

"My lady," said Jessie, "do you have to go so fast?"

"I will not be alone," Dylan hastened to reassure her. "Sir Cadence will accompany me. I'll be back tonight, okay?"

Jessie dropped her eyes. "I suppose it would be alright, but I think you'd better hurry back. You're always running off to someplace or another."

"I am a very busy woman." She rubbed her red eyes. "God, I need about a week of sleep."

'When was the last time I cried?'

"Where is Sir Cadence?" she faltered. "Send him to me—tell him I have..."

Realizing she'd been standing alone without him for a few minutes, she glanced around in search of Cadence. She finally spotted him leaning against the side of the carriage. For a second their eyes met. He stared. At her. As if they were the only two people in the courtyard.

Clearly surprised, Jessie stared at Dylan, questions in her eyes. "My lady, do you perhaps..."

Dylan broke eye contact with him and glanced at the floor. It hadn't bothered Dylan before, but something had shifted between them in the last twenty-four hours, something important.

Jessie asked, "Do you like him?"

"I never felt as if I quite liked him," said Dylan, looking at the floor sadly. She paused. "I keep on thinking that maybe I like who I am around him. But then again, what does it mean to like someone?"

"My lady, you might already know." Jessie chuckled softly. "You may not see it, but your eyes light up like candle flames when you look at him." 

'I don't think it's possible for me to like somebody.'

Dylan hesitated. "I should go."

***

CLUNK! The carriage came to a stop so abruptly that she nearly fell from her seat. Dylan lifted the curtain on the carriage window and peered outside. 

'Why did we stop?'

The carriage's door was pulled open. Cadence stood outside the open door, bracing one hand on the carriage's door frame. He looked extremely handsome in his uniform. A picture perfect gallant knight. 

Dylan inwardly cursed the wretched Emperor. How could someone destroy something so beautiful? 

She asked, "Why did we stop?"

"Mud," Cadence signed. "The carriage is stuck in mud."

She frowned and stared out the window. Beyond the glass pane a gorgeous field of sunflowers stretched to the distant horizon. She chuckled to herself, remembering the day Grisa had gifted her sunflowers.

"Let's take a walk while we wait," she muttered. "I want some fresh air."

The sun was warm, the flowers fragrant, and all around stretched green leaves and yellow flowers. In the field, there seemed to be such an absolute stillness. Dylan felt disoriented for a moment, as if time had simply stopped.