Chapter 69 ~ The Glimmer of a New Beginning

The Duke's invitations were dispatched with a sense of urgency, each one carefully sealed within an ebony envelope. This choice of colour, with its haunting undertones of mortality and decay, conjured images of funerals and the sombre veil of mourning. Within the confines of these dark envelopes rested delicate parchment, bearing a simple sentence: "The Duke extends his warm invitation to join him in celebrating the precious occasion of his beloved daughter, Dylan of Beaumon."

"I must seem as though I'm on my deathbed," Dylan remarked, gently turning one of the envelopes in her hands. "Or perhaps, as if I've already departed this world."

Who sends out invitations to a dinner party just two hours before the event, especially black invitations that allowed for such ambiguity? Those who received them likely presumed it was Dylan's funeral.

"I do not understand the Duke's intentions, my lady," Mina said with a hint of exasperation as she continued to brush through Dylan's hair. "It seems he's not in his right mind. The staff is already near exhaustion, and now we have only two hours to prepare for a party for the nobility?"

Dylan felt a pang of guilt, truly she did. However, she refused to let it consume her. Life, she knew, was often unjust. In truth, she remained indifferent to the state of the Duke's mind or the staff's exhaustion; her primary concern was how these circumstances might begin to interfere with her own carefully laid plans.

"Who do you think has been invited?" Dylan asked softly, her grip tightening around the envelope. "There are certain individuals... whom I'd rather avoid." 

"Who knows, milady. The Duke might have extended invitations to anyone and everyone."

The door to the dressing room swung open, and Dylan turned her head at the sound. There stood Jessie, her eyes heavy with exhaustion, and her face contorted with weariness.

"My lady," Jessie said, presenting a carefully wrapped dress package. "I rushed into town as swiftly as I could and managed to find a black dress for you, just as you had requested."

"Did you happen to encounter anyone at the boutiques or catch wind of any gossip about the dinner?" Dylan inquired eagerly. "Any whispers, even the slightest hint of information?"

"I did manage to glean some information from the boutique owner," Jessie replied, her fatigue evident as she carefully placed the package down. "There was talk of a young lady with fiery red hair and striking green eyes, whom I can only assume is Lady Grisa. She, too, purchased a dress for the event."

Dylan's stomach twisted with unease. The last thing she wanted was for Grisa to become entangled in this situation or to be anywhere near the Duke. She needed to ensure that Grisa, Lucas, and anyone she cared about stayed far away.

"Cadence," Dylan called, and like a loyal companion, he promptly appeared. She had grown fond of his constant presence; he was her pillar of reassurance, always there to calm her nerves. "While I prepare, could you please check if there's a guest list for the dinner?" Dylan requested, her voice low and urgent. "Perhaps it's hidden in the Duke's office or with the servants. Be discreet, and whatever you do, don't get caught."

Cadence nodded, his eyes filled with affection as he gazed at her. She reached out and tenderly brushed a strand of hair away from his handsome face. They were planning their escape, to leave everyone behind and set fire to the past. It was the only thing that kept her going, the glimmer of a new beginning.

She knew that all she needed was a little more time. She had diligently saved a substantial amount of money from her secret business and had already started scouting for secluded places where she wouldn't leave a trace. These were destinations far away, with lush green valleys and serene rivers. She just had to wrap up a few more loose ends. Her primary concern was shaking off the relentless pursuit of the King, ensuring that those she left behind, and cared deeply about, would remain unharmed.