Chapter 21 ~ Tea Parties and Gardenias

WARNING: This chapter contains minor scenes of violence which may be triggering to some readers.

***

Before long, the day of the tea party had arrived. Several magnificent carriages began to flow into the Frederique estate. Dylan stared through the window at the arriving guests. 

"Did you rest well?" asked Edwin, who was sitting at tea with Dylan.

She nodded, staring out the window while she sipped her drink. Dylan was escorted to a lavish room in the mansion as soon as they arrived. Since they departed in the afternoon, their time of arrival was late in the night. She ended up eating a light dinner by herself and then sleeping. 

"Have you got anything stronger than tea to drink?" she asked with a deepening frown.

Edwin, wrinkling up his face, laughed out loud. "I see you're nervous," he said, "but you'll be fine."

Dylan took a drink of her tea and carefully set the cup back on the table. Today would be her first time attending a social event as the Duke's daughter. Although she didn't want to enter high-society, the deal was too good to turn down. 

Since Jessie had been attached to her like an accessory, it wasn't easy to leave academy grounds unnoticed. Her activities and leisure time were also monitored and reported to the Duke. If Laikin was the one to get a new name for her, the chances of getting caught would be slim to none.

"A tea party is nothing compared to what you've been through," Edwin explained. "You're a smart child, so you'll do well."

She sighed and shook her head. "I hope so," she said, "I can only imagine what sort of people will be present."

The Marchioness of Frederique was one of the leading members of high-society. As such, only the most influential and beautiful ladies would be present today. Dylan was going to practically walk into a battlefield of malicious gossip and insults.

"Have you started looking at marriage partners?" he asked with genuine interest.

"Oh, no!" exclaimed Dylan. "I haven't thought of such things yet, grandpapa."

'I might not live long enough to get married anyways.'

"Have you considered Laikin? I heard he invited you here himself."

Dylan coughed to cover her startled laugh. "I don't think Lord Laikin and I are a good match," she explained, nearly dropping her teacup. "He's a gentleman, but I'm afraid I do not suit him."

He frowned into his drink. "I see."

Despite not wanting to marry, a small smile twisted Dylan's lips. He was like a grandfather to her. The thought of Edwin wanting to officially welcome her into his family as a daughter-in-law was warming. 

A knock at the door interrupted their conversation. It opened and Mina stepped into the room. "Milady," she said, "it's time for you to head to the tea party."

*** 

Under the guidance of the attendants, several guests began to flock to where tables and chairs had been carefully arranged in the garden. Most of the guests who arrived early were chatting away amongst one another. Dylan walked through the garden, ignoring the whispers and points of those watching her. 

"Thank you for your invitation," Dylan said, curtsying elegantly. "My name is Dylan de Beaumon. It is truly an honour to have been invited by such an honourable and esteemed lady."