Chapter 44 ~ I Missed You

Soon the carriage they had taken from the Duke's estate pulled into the marketplace. Together they walked along the street looking into the shop windows. They had strolled perhaps two blocks, chattering about the latest trends, when Grisa spotted a bracelet she liked. 

She paused and exclaimed: "Oh, isn't that just the prettiest little bracelet you've ever seen? Look at it, Dylan." She clutched Dylan violently by the arm. "Look! We have to get matching ones!" 

Dylan stood at the window with a greatly disturbed look on her face. Matching bracelets? She glanced over at Grisa's expression—eyes shining bright, her smile lighting up her face. Dylan didn't know why she wanted them, but decided to go with it anyways. Who could ever say no to her?

"Sure," she sighed.

Lucas watched them curiously, listening to their words with a half smile. "Let's go in," he said, opening the door for them to enter.

Grisa grabbed her friend's hand excitedly, pulling her into the store. She never had a best friend before, let alone been one. Dylan was now her very closest friend, and she wanted to do so much with her. 

"Welcome, welcome," the shop owner said cheerfully. "How may I serve you this fine day?"

"The bracelets," she said, gesturing toward the window. "May we see them?"

He reached behind the counter and pulled out a large, flat box. Inside the box, lying elegantly on the black felt background, were the bracelets they had seen in the display case. 

"I can assure you"—The shop owner adjusted one of the many bracelets with gloved hands—"that these are very popular right now."

"Dyl, which one do you want?" asked Grisa.

"You can pick the prettiest one for me." 

While Grisa and Lucas picked out the bracelets, Dylan decided to look around the shop with Cadence to pass time. She scanned the cases of jewelry with a disinterested expression. 

Dylan never cared for expensive jewelry, and the few pieces she owned were in a safe-deposit box that remained unopened until important occasions. She was someone who couldn't stand wearing expensive jewelry. She didn't just dislike it—she abhorred it.

Dylan's mother didn't have any money. And so she grew up, with little to eat or wear, spending her days caring for herself when her mother was out working. It didn't feel right wearing something so expensive, when people were suffering to make ends meet. 

But then something caught her eye—a unique set of earrings. The shape of the earrings was odd, and the emerald was cut to perfection. 

When she reached out to touch it, the sleeve of Cadence's jacket fell forward loosely over her hand. She let out a soft giggle as Cadence approached her side, and folded up the sleeves for her. 

"I feel like a child," she told him. "I could've done that myself."

He shook his head side to side. 

.

.

"Mom," said Dylan, pouting. "Why can't we just cut the sleeves shorter?"

The beautiful woman smiled warmly at the child. "We'll need to keep them long in case you grow," she told her, folding the sleeves on Dylan's dress. Her voice was sweet and melodious like a soft lullaby. 

When she was done fixing her sleeves; the little girl twirled around twice, giggling, and almost falling. 

"Let's do your hair, sweet girl." She ruffled her daughter's hair, and gave her an affectionate hug