Chapter 15 ~ I Won't Fall For You

WARNING: This chapter contains minor scenes of violence which may be triggering to some readers.

***

Grisa was ostracized by other women out of jealousy for as long as she could remember. Girls in high-society were trained to be in competition with each other for the attention of men. Owing to this, she was constantly subjected to taunting, gossip, and bullying by other females. 

At some point, she realized that Dylan de Beaumon was different. Grisa silently examined Dylan's expressions and behaviour. Dylan didn't look at her with hostile or judgemental eyes. Dylan's eyes were empty—conveying no emotion, character, or interest. 

With a sigh, Grisa handed Dylan her handkerchief. 

"Thank you," she said as she cleaned her face and staggered to her feet.

"What are you doing? Sit down."

At Grisa's urging, Dylan sat rigidly back down beside her. She leaned her upper body against the bench with a frown on her face, reaching an outstretched arm towards the blue sky above. 

The sky was lined with snow-white clouds. Dylan desperately wished she could grab onto them. The clouds looked free.

Laikin glanced at Dylan's hand that was reaching out towards the sun's rays. He watched the way she looked at peace against the scenery of nature around them. It was almost as if the academy grounds existed for this exact moment.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that," Grisa said, gently cupping Dylan's face with one of her hands. "Please don't be upset."

Dylan blinked slowly, her eyes resembling the warmth of the sun. She nuzzled her face into the hand cupping her cheek. "It's not your fault," she said. 

'If only I was born with a soul like yours, Grisa.'

"Milady, I'm truly sorry," Laikin said. He apologized so rarely that the words felt strange in his mouth. "I should've stepped in sooner to-"

"I didn't need your saving." Dylan cocked her head to the side to look at him.

Laikin blinked at her. "What?"

"I said I didn't need your saving, Lord Laikin de Frederique. I'm not sure what grandpapa Edwin told you, but I'm not as frail and helpless as you think."

"I see." He snorted. "You really are interesting, Lady Dylan."

"I guess I am," she said with a faint smile, "but that's all you'll ever get to know about me." 

Silence hovered between the two. It was almost as if Grisa wasn't there at all.

"You can take this back"—Dylan shrugged herself out of his jacket—"since I don't need it anymore."

Laikin looked down at her. "Keep it," he said. 

"What?"

"You can keep it for now—since I have extras."

Dylan shook her head. "You should take it now," she said. "I won't thank you or fall in love with you just because you helped me, my Lord. There's no reason for you to see me again."

'I won't be indebted to you, because I know you'll try to use me if I am.'

Laikin turned to Grisa, who was no longer cupping Dylan's cheek, but sitting there looking amused. "Did you hear that?" Laikin demanded. "She said she wouldn't fall in love me."

"Oh, good," said Grisa. "For a second there, I was worried she actually would."

Dylan stared at her. "Seriously?"

"Yes," she replied with a sigh. "Don't leave me for a man. Not when we only just became close."

"I don't see a man here to leave you for, so don't worry," said Dylan, and at that, Grisa laughed out loud. 

Laikin glared at her with a strange expression. Dylan smiled up at him. In the sunlight, he was perhaps the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen.

'Too bad I'll never fall for you.'

He smiled crookedly. "I guess we'll see then."

Dylan took a deep breath. "You seem pretty sure of yourself, my Lord."

"I am," he said softly, taking a few steps backwards before turning his back to her. "Then until next time, Lady Dylan de Beaumon."

***

"It's gotten a lot better," Jessie said in Dylan's ear, applying ointment to her bruised cheek. "But Lord Axil still hasn't apologized, right?"

"Don't expect him to," Dylan murmured back. "If anything, he'd give me a matching bruise on the other cheek if he saw me again."

Jessie clicked her tongue, closing the ointment with a frown.

Dylan flopped back against the pillows on her bed. "He really is troublesome," she muttered, sighing heavily. "If he goes anywhere near Grisa, I'll flip out."

A smile hovered around Jessie's mouth. "I'm glad you befriended another noble."

"Right?" she said, rising from her bed and making her way to the vanity mirror. Dylan examined her cheek, the purple of her bruise now slightly faded. "I didn't think I would, but Grisa reminds me of sunshine. I like being around her."

There was a knock. Mina went to the door and opened it.

"Mina?" Jessie asked. "Who is it?"

Mina, her face red, muttered, "Hello, Lord Axil."

'Fuck.'

Axil barged into the room, his face distorted with anger. "Is it true?"

Dylan backed away from him with trembling legs, little by little. "Is what true?"

"The tea!" He screamed angrily, punching the wall next to her face. Dylan flinched as the plaster crumbled and his hand went through the hole he had made.

"My Lord!" Jessie pleaded. "Please control yourself!"

Dylan's whole body was shivering with fear in his presence. "It's fine, really," she whispered tremulously, afraid to meet his angry gaze.

"Tell me," he said through clenched teeth. "Which son of a bitch did it?"

"Wh-what?"

"I'll kill any bastard who tries to hurt you." The veins in his neck stood out in livid ridges. "You're mine to hurt."

Dylan's eyes shook violently. "Y, yours?"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This is my FAVOURITE chapter so far... 

Just to clarify: Laikin and Dylan are not blood-related. The reason why Dylan calls Edwin (Laikin's grandfather) grandpapa is because he took care of her and her mother. 

Dylan is biologically related to both Lynette and Lucas since they share the same father as her (Marquis Ruenz).