Chapter 30 ~ White Roses

White roses represent purity, innocence and youthfulness. Perhaps that was why Dylan's fingers itched with the desire to rip the flowers off their stems. There was no such thing as innocence in a world full of corruption. 

"These roses are a gift from His Highness," Victor explained as he handed the bouquet to Mina. "I come bearing information for Lady Dylan," he said. "Information sent on behalf of His Highness, Prince Caspian."

Victor Olio was Caspian's right-hand man—his loyal dog. He was a faithful companion and underling of the Crown Prince, helping both support and assist Caspian's ambitions. It was no surprise that Victor had been the one to look into the man in the drawing. 

Out of the corner of Dylan's eye, she saw Jessie fiddling around with a tea set. It was obvious she was intentionally listening to their conversation. If Jessie were to overhear what Victor came to say, she would surely report it to the Duke.

"Jessie," Dylan said, grabbing her shoulder. "Go to the academy's physician and ask him for some painkillers. I seem to be experiencing shoulder pain from training."

'It's too risky to have her around.'

Jessie hesitated for an instant whether to speak or not. "Milady," she finally said, "I feel that I am best suited to attend to you and your guest. Why not send Mina?"

"Oh my!" Dylan said with enough fake cheerfulness that Jessie flinched. "That is exactly why I am sending you," she explained. "I take my health very seriously. Who better to handle my medicine than my most competent maid?"

Jessie hesitated before obeying. 

'You're so obvious.'

"Milady," said Mina, carrying a silver tray with refreshments, "I brewed you and your guest tea."

"Perfect," Dylan said with a smile. "Go wait in the hallway, okay?"

Mina bowed her head without hesitation and left.

'Why can't Jessie be that obedient?'

Victor pulled a chair out for Dylan. It was chivalric code for a man to help a lady sit first. He then eased into the chair across from her and poured them both tea. 

"I assume you know why I am here," he said, setting a teacup down in front of her.

"Yes," she said, leaning back in her seat. "You found him, correct?"

He reached into his pocket and pulled out several sheets of neatly folded paper. "I admit that I am reluctant to give these to you," he said, sliding them across the table to her. "The last thing we need is for milady to be involved with a person like this."

She unfolded the papers and asked, "Why?"

"Milady is a very important political ally for His Highness," Victor explained. "Although I do not know your reasoning behind wanting to take down your own brother—you are still vital to our plan."

When Axil is stripped of his title, the position of heir apparent will go to Dylan. It's only natural for Victor to want to keep her close and away from scandals, since the support of a future Duke would be beneficial for Caspian's ascension to the throne.

'Too bad I don't plan on sticking around.'

Dylan started to read. "Is this information true?" she asked.

"Yes. The man from the drawing is named Emmett Lembarg. He is a mercenary who takes part in military conflict for personal profit, and is not a member of any official army."

A mercenary is a soldier who doesn't belong to any particular army. Instead of fighting for their country or someone, they fight for money. They're vicious soldiers with no moral principles—freelance soldiers who sell their services to anyone with money. 

Dylan tapped her finger on the paper. "Did you find any information on his background?"

"All I know is that he came from the countryside," Victor explained, sipping his tea. "There was no information available about his family—the Lembargs."

"He'd be hired through his contractor, right? The Ravens?"

'The unfamiliar crest must've belonged to his mercenary group.'

Victor sighed. "I have no reason to stop you from seeking him out," he said. "However, you must be careful. Mercenaries are not easy people to deal with."

Dylan slid the papers back over to him. "Thank you," she said, "I have more than enough information now."

Victor folded the papers and threw them in his pocket. "I'll take my leave then," he said, rising from his chair. "I will let your maid know she can come in now."

"Yes, thank you."

'I have a bit of money from signing a contract with Lord Whittle. I'll use it to hire Emmett and then make more when my product starts selling.'

Then there was a knock at the door.

"Milady, Mina here!"

"Come in, I actually need to speak with you."

She shut the door after she entered, and smiled brightly at Dylan. "What can I assist milady with?" she asked.

"I need you to deliver a letter for me," Dylan explained. "A very important letter."

***

The door to Dylan's balcony was open, allowing in a cool night breeze that made the fire in the hearth dance. As Dylan sat absentmindedly staring at the curtains swaying in the breeze, a slight movement on the balcony caught her attention. 

For security reasons, students weren't allowed to leave Faerchester on weekdays without special permission. As such, the academy gates remained closed until the weekend—when students were allowed to enter and exit freely.

Dylan sent a letter to Emmett's contractor using the name Jonas Ferguson. The job request was simple—orally deliver a private message to room 4C at the academy. Jonas specifically asked for Emmett, saying a friend of his recommended him. 

'Since I can't come to you, I'll make you come to me.'

"I know you're there," she called out towards the shadow, "so come out."

A cloaked figure in a black robe emerged from the balcony. She watched the tall and lean figure move swiftly across the room, his steps silent. 

"I've come to deliver a message," he said with a baritone voice. "A message from—"

"Jonas Ferguson," interrupted Dylan. "I know," she said, flashing him her identity card, "since I'm the one who hired you."

He stayed silent, as if he was watching her movements.

'You must've realized by now that you've been set up.'

"Allow me to properly introduce myself." She stood and stretched. "My name is Dylan de Beaumon," she said, "but it was once Dylan Lembarg."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

AHHH!! What do you guys think about this chapter!?