Three: After the Struggle of Trost

It took entirely too long, but the scouts finally reached Trost in time for Levi to intervene and rescue some trainees from being killed by an incoming titan. The scene was difficult to understand, one very large titan collapsed against a Boulder that was being used to block an opening in Wall Rose. Three recruits and Riko, from the Garrison Regiment, were gathered around the fallen titan while Levi glowered down at them from his place on the Titan he killed before it could kill them.

Our worst fears had been confirmed. The wall had been breached in our absence and Titans had descended upon Trost. The Survey Corps jumped into action immediately, cutting down Titans as quickly as they came. In an entire day of fighting, they managed to free the Trost area of the Titans, but at a cost. Casualties for all regiments were high. Dead bodies and bloody limbs scattered the streets like debris.

I couldn't help but feel it was too coincidental. How would Titans know to attack the city just as the most capable soldiers had left? The Titans had always been mindless idiots. There was something else going on here. Something I knew I wouldn't like.

The Scouts got to clearing Trost of the Titans quickly, cutting down the ones that remained after the other regiments blew several of them away with cannon fire. By the end of the day, the area was secure and safe again, which meant the scouts could return to base for a well deserved rest after the day we had.

The cut on my head never stopped bleeding, as my constant movements throughout the day caused whatever healing it could do to be reversed whenever the wound would reopen. Petra walked me to the infirmary, where the wound received stitches and my head was promptly bandaged. The nurse also took a look at my ankle and determined it was just a sprain. It would heal completely in only a few weeks. Still, for me, that seemed as though it would cause me to fall behind the rest of my squad. I was offered a crutch, but I rejected it, only allowing the nurse to bandage the ankle so it would be secure and not roll on accident. After I was taken care of, I left the infirmary as quickly as I could, beelining for the cafeteria. I had only eaten breakfast that day. Depleting the minimal amount of calories I was given until the end of the day was making my stomach begin to eat itself.

Petra was the first to greet me when I stepped inside the cafeteria. She had clearly left me at the infirmary once they began stitching me, but I couldn't blame her. She was probably starving. As I took my usual place beside Levi, he acknowledged me.

"Must have been a hell of a scratch." He commented, his eyes lingering on the bandages around my head.

"That's all it was." I responded disingenuously, picking up my fork and scarfing down my dinner as if I were a starved dog.

"She needed stitches." Petra piped up, ratting me out.

I shot daggers at my friend with my eyes, avoiding eye contact with Levi now. All Petra did was shrug innocently. Traitor.

"Surprising you managed to fight all day like that." Levi sounded almost impressed.

"Yeah, well, I have a headache that could kill." I admitted truthfully. "But that might just be from when they were digging a needle into my head twelve times."

"Twelve stitches?" He announced, genuine surprise in his monotone voice. "You should sit out tomorrow. Don't need you working yourself to death."

I dropped my fork, losing patience, and turned to face Levi with an unreadable expression, but one that made everyone at the table stop eating to witness what was happening. "Sir, why are you so hell bent on keeping me off the squad?"

A flash of surprise flickered on my Captain's face, but it quickly disappeared and was replaced by the usual bored expression. "Lieutenant." He said it forcefully. "You'd do well to remember who you are speaking to. If I want you to take a break, you will take a break. Understood?"