Twenty Seven: The Way Things Are

Levi had certainly made it clear that he wanted us to be exclusive to each other. It wasn't something that I was going to fight, really. Honestly, I had always had a crush on him, which I had refused to admit until now.

Petra had always known. Part of me hoped that she was teasing me, wherever she was now. That's what she would be doing if she were alive.

After a while, we eventually dressed and went to dinner. No one mentioned what had happened earlier in the day with the investigation or the fight between Levi and I. They either hadn't heard the fight or knew better than to be nosy. Once dinner had been finished and everyone was done cleaning, I headed back to the dorms. Rather than going to my own room, I completely bypassed it and went all the way to the end of the hall where Levi had retreated to his office.

I knocked softly, waiting for his firm "come in," before opening the door and stepping inside. Expecting him to be seated at his desk, I was surprised to find that he was instead standing by the window and staring out at the sunset with a cup of tea clasped in his fingers. He offered me a glance over his shoulder before realizing who I was and turning around to give me his full attention.

"Dani." He greeted me.

"Am I interrupting?" I asked.

He shook his head and gently placed his tea cup on his desk. "No. Is there something you need?" He was acting so normal now, like we hadn't spent two hours naked and exploring each other bodies earlier in the day.

Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I kept my hands behind my back. "Yeah, I just wanted to apologize for earlier."

He rose an eyebrow. "Oh? What part?"

"For disrespecting you. It was out of line and it won't happen again." I brought my right hand up and pressed my fist into my chest in a salute as a show of respect.

Levi sighed and leaned against the window pane. "I should apologize too. I shouldn't treat you as an inferior when it comes to our private relations. I should separate my job from my private life. And I promise that it won't happen again."

His apology caught me by surprise, leaving me dumbstruck as I stared back at him. This seemed to amuse him because his lips twitched upward in a smile he tried to hide. "Do you accept my apology?" He asked.

I nodded, composing myself. "Yes, I forgive you. Do you accept mine?"

He waved dismissively. "Of course. In hindsight, it was... amusing."

"Amusing?"

He crossed his arms. "No one has ever been as brave as you. I think the only person who has ever challenged me like that has been..." he suddenly stopped, trailing off before shaking his head. "Never mind. I was just impressed, is all."

"Well, I will be sure to not be so brazen in the future." I smiled at him before relaxing my stance. "Goodnight, Captain." I turned to leave, but was stopped short.

"Hold on." He pushed away from the window and approached me, but stopped just short of my feet, the space between us minimal now.

"Yes?" I tilted my head back to look up at him, reminding me just how short I was.

He reached out silently, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear before using his thumb to gently rub over the bruise on my cheek. "You don't have to go."

"Are you asking me to stay with you?"

"You're so oblivious sometimes." He laughed airily through his nose.

"Well," I turned up the flirtation in my voice, looking up with my eyes and blinking slowly, "if that's what you want, then I'll stay."

He nodded and retracted his hand. "If you want to go to sleep now, you're welcome to my bed."