Sixteen: On the Run

It was a long while later that Levi found me. I was alone in a room that I had decided to claim as mine for the time being, sitting on the floor against the wall opposite the door.

"You didn't eat." Was the first thing out of his mouth as he closed the door and leaned against the wall.

"I'm not hungry."

"You should eat anyway. You'll need your strength."

I cradled my injured leg and kept my eyes averted. There was no response that came to mind.

Levi squatted down and looked me in my eyes. "Today was shit."

I nodded.

"But you remember what I told you?"

I sighed and tilted my head back until it hit the wall behind me. "I need to keep going. I can't let their sacrifices mean nothing." I repeated his words back to him that he had told me so long ago now.

He nodded. "We still have a mission. We're going to get Eren and Historia back."

I met his gaze, watching him for a moment. "You must have killed people before, Captain. Does it ever eat you alive?"

Levi sat down across from me, his lidded eyes staring back at me with their usual apathy. "I don't like getting violent, but I'll resort to it when I have to. If you want to survive in this world, there will be times that you need to take the life of someone else so they don't take yours first. Feeling guilty for it does nothing for you except hold you back."

I closed my eyes, recalling the faces of the people I cut down and shot. "I'll bet they had people that cared about them." I spoke aloud. When I opened my eyes again, he was watching me with intensity. "You know, if I died, no one would miss me much. Sometimes I wonder why I survived and none of the others did. They all have people that would miss them."

"I'd miss you." Levi said softly. "And the Scouts are lucky to have you with us still. I'll bet everyone out there would miss you too."

I offered him a sad smile. "By the end of this, do you think any of us will still be alive?"

"I hope so." He responded, looking away from me. "But I don't know."

Huffing a sigh, I pushed myself to my feet and limped to the bed that I had claimed, first sitting and then laying down on it. "You wanna know something, Captain?"

He hummed in response.

"I hate this world. I hate everything about it. It seems like a sick joke that we even exist at all." I paused and turned my head to look at him. "But some of the people in it aren't so bad."

Levi was silent for a while, staying at his place on the floor. "Maybe that's the light your mom told you you're supposed to be waiting for." Then, he got to his feet and slowly made his way to the bed. "Get some sleep." He ordered me, bending down and delivering a soft kiss to my forehead. "We have a busy day tomorrow."

He went to the door, opening it, but paused before he left entirely. "And don't think you being injured will get you out of anything this time."

I smiled to myself. "Yes, Captain."

~      ~      ~

A few days had passed now. Apparently, Levi had convinced Dimo Reeves to lure the military police to our headquarters, where they were ambushed, captured, and tortured for information. I did nothing as Hanji and Levi did this, I only leaned against the wall of the basement and watched it play out.

When we left the basement, Levi spoke to me, softly at first.

"You know we have to do it."

I nodded but said nothing.