Seventeen: Saving Eren

A/N: This Chapter is a little bit of a filler. Sorry.

We were stationed outside of the chapel, prepared now to face Kenny, who Levi warned was his equal, if not more deadly. The idea of this sent a chill down my spine. It would be hard enough dealing with guns, but now we needed to worry about Levi 2.0? This is bullshit.

Everything happened quickly from this point on. Levi gave the signal and we dropped gun powder down the steps, which Sasha lit on fire with a flaming arrow. As the bags exploded, we all shot our smoke signals into the chapel, trying to confuse Kenny and his squad while also providing us cover. Then, we went in, no hesitation as we immediately got to attacking. Sasha and Armin provided us cover from afar while we were attacking at close range. Since the ODM gear of our enemies could only be fired in the direction they intended to shoot, the enemy was not able to shoot at us from behind while also propelling forward. This gave us an advantage.

I couldn't focus on what anyone else was doing or what trouble they might have been in. The only person I could focus on was myself right now, which is what I expected everyone else to be doing. Any less would result in casualties.

My mind flashed to Petra, her body crushed against a tree as blood dripped from her nose and mouth. How I had faltered and gotten hurt because I was paying attention to someone else.

Scowling, I drew my blades and shot into action, propelling myself straight into the smoke. The thickness of it was so strong that I couldn't breathe, but I continued anyway. I came upon my first enemy and crossed my blades in front of me before slicing outward and taking off his head. Someone shot at me from above, but because of the smoke, they missed by several feet. Front flipping onto a nearby pillar, I landed with only one leg, babying the other, and backflipped off of it to get momentum. My ODM gear buried itself in the ceiling and I came beneath the shooter, my entire body spinning as I dragged both blades straight up the person's center. They were all but cut in half. Clinging to the ceiling, I didn't give anyone a chance to shoot at me, now out of the smoke, and I jumped from the ceiling straight into the smoke once more. I launched my ODM gear into another pillar and swung horizontally, cutting down two more men before the gear had retracted fully, bringing me onto a pillar again.

Hanji swung past me, engaging with someone, and I paused on my spot where I had landed to see the enemy grapple Hanji and swing them around until the momentum made their body fly away. Hanji disappeared through the smoke, their body motionless the entire way. Everyone was too stunned to react. The enemy called to fall back and they all began to head for the mouth of a cave, too far for me to catch them before they disappeared into it. We all chased at the same time, but were stopped by a rope trap that barricaded the mouth of the cave.

I was the first to abandon the cave and run to Hanji, flipping their body over to decipher if they were dead or not. With my fingers pressed into their neck, I could feel a faint pulse.

"They're alive." I informed everyone.

"You know," Jean spoke up. "When I was thinking about who would get hurt during this, my bets were on you, Dani."

"Fuck you." I responded dryly, rolling my eyes and getting to my feet. "Guess what, Jean? You get to carry Hanji." I smirked at him.

Jean pouted but did as I said, picking up our comrade and carrying them to the cave that Levi and I were now inspecting.

Using my blade, I stuck the metal between the rope and pulled upward, but it wouldn't budge. "It's not normal rope." I relayed to my Captain, putting my blades away. "How do we get through?"

Levi thought for a moment, not moving as his eyes looked over the obstacle in front of us. "We're gonna have to blow the cave mouth open wider. We don't have time to figure out the mechanics of whatever material this is." He turned to look at Sasha. "Do we have anymore gunpowder?"