Chapter 11~ Developments

Byun Baekhyun

Before you comment on anything read the disclaimer in the Author's Note

- Nyxessa -

It has been a few days, Baekhyun thinks as he turns around the corner of the block he by now knows by heart, having walked these streets so often by now that he can't possibly count them, he probably would even find the way in his sleep.

Fastening his jacket tighter around his chest as an especially cold autumn wind passes him, not wanting to get sick again after having had to last week already, making him shiver, his teeth nearly blabbering, he picks up his speed nearly flying now towards that little café he is rushing towards to, where lunch and something warm to drink is probably already waiting for him, like nearly every day.

Today is Wednesday, Sehun infiltrated the company three days ago and the last two days Baekhyun had not been able to meet or chat a lot with Chanyeol so he is in deep need of an update. He missed their little meetups because of work, they kind of have a deadline coming up and he stood up every day just to fall face-first into his soft sheets way later than he should be. But having taken those two days so strictly allows him now to visit the little Firelight Café and actually stay there for an hour and not just grab food and get back.

Baekhyun can feel how a tiny smile begins to crawl onto his lips as he thinks about the store, which he begins to love slowly but surely, not only because of the delicious food and drinks but also because of the people that he begins to consider as his friends. He can't even remember when he made friends the last time.

Sehun, Kyungsoo, Jongin, even Kangju....and of course Chanyeol.

Alone the thought about the tall man with those fluffy locks and that sparkling coffee eyes full of compassion makes his heart feel warm in a way, like a sort wave of comfort or like a soft warm blanket being wrapped around him, just somehow familiar but also so much more honest and warmer as he was used to from a man that may look like the musician with a heart of gold but seemed to have nothing in common with him on the inside.

Baekhyun feels bitterness rise in his mouth, tasting the kind of acidy thing on his lips and he quickly manages to distract himself from thinking about Changnam.

He doesn't want to, he kind of knows that it is probably childish to just choose to just ignore the topic but it is not like he will run into him nor can he allow himself to drown in the pain thinking about his late husband, so not thinking about it is at least for now the best strategy he figured out for himself.

If it was not for the fact that Changnam was a spitting image of Chanyeol and all of this sounding so fishy and suspicious, Baekhyun would have probably stopped that day when he found out part of the truth about the man with spitting white hair that he begins to hate nowadays. He would have stopped investigating, just to stop himself from hurting even more, but with all those strange things and Chanyeol by now being knee-deep in it as well, there is no way he will stop now.

Feeling a shiver run down his spine as he passes a few trees that line the street, crossing it to make his way directly to the café that is located on the other side, Baekhyun feels the glimpse of fury in his heart as he thinks about how that fucking asshole fucked up both his and the life of an innocent man is not just one way. Firstly by having his finger apparently not in clean things and secondly in even haunting him and in the end also Chanyeol even long after he went under the earth.