chappie thirteen: beach fun

The Okinawa trip was almost coming to an end

Yona thought of it as a brisk trip. Being somewhere new away from home was different. The moment it ended, the memories would be easy to replay and smile at, but the feelings she experienced now couldn't be brought up by the turn of switch. A part of her didn't want to go home and the other missed the familiar comfort of her own bed. Not only that, but not being near anyone would help her focus less on the tension there was between her and them. Specifically, Toritsuka or Saiki.

Toritsuka's kindhearted behavior more than delighted Yona. She liked this side of him and believed it was a side he hadn't shown to others. He did act like a gentleman to try and convince the girl he was flirting with that he was a suitable boyfriend, but he didn't hold their hand nor soothe them with affectionate words and offer them dessert for being a jerk. When they dumped him, he moved on.

Because of Saiki, Yona asked herself what their interactions were leading to. They were sort of passed acquaintances and it was too formal to refer to each other as peers. She hasn't known him long enough, but ever since their time at Cafe Mami, Yona saw a chance for their friendship to grow. Occasional hangouts or conversations they could have when they were too exhausted to be around their usual outgoing classmates. Last night proved that there was more to Saiki than a mysterious introverted boy.

And somehow, the overthinking Yona closed her eyes at how ridiculous she sounded. She was hoping that her beloved friend wasn't trying to do this for his own benefit. The thought of Toritsuka only doing all of this to try and win her heart was going to give her a heart attack. And the actual possibility of Saiki and her hanging out sounded unreal. Saiki would most likely choose to stay at home and do his own thing. The only reason he spoke to her was because he simply tolerated her.

Yona splashed water on her face, taking an immense breath of air to calm her rapid heart and aching brain. She moved from the sink and headed towards the exit of the restroom, but almost tripped over a pair of legs.

There clutching a towel around herself was Yumehara. Different sections of her chestnut locks were messy, probably due to her combing through it with her shaky fingers. She barely noticed Yona's presence, sulking eyes penetrating the ground.

"Sorry." Yumehara's apology came out in a monotonous way. She pulled her legs to her chest to allow Yona to walk through the exit. Hearing the boys outside cheering made Yumehara's brows furrow, her glare hardening. "It's always her they want."

From her reaction, Yona figured out the cause of Yumehara's discomfort. She, or Teruhashi was radiant and caused happiness to those around her, instantly making the atmosphere around her positive. Unfortunately, it also caused negative emotions to arise. No matter how much one admired and loved Teruhashi, there were those with twisted jealousy and a deep hatred that originated from self-loathing and insecurities. Basically, an insecure person around Teruhashi is like kicking an already dead horse.