Chapter 12 - Betrayal

I stared blankly out of the foggy car window. It was raining heavily, drops of water sliding down the ancient car. I had just been discharged from the hospital.

It was about one in the afternoon and I had been awoken from yet another extremely realistic dream of my dad chasing me down an endless hallway. I cowered back into my chair at the unpleasant reminder of my current situation.

I was being driven back home by a grumpy old man with a horrible taste in music. Not to mention that it was so loud I thought my ears were going to bleed. I had tried to get him to turn it down but he had completely ignored me.

All I could do was hope that my mum would believe me.

"Is this your address?" The man said in a gruff, impatient tone.

I snapped out of my thoughts and replied, "yes, thank you."

He parked in front of my house and I got out. He drove off and I felt the familiar butterflies of anxiety stir inside of me. My breathing grew heavy and I was hesitant to take another step.

I looked around and saw that my father's car wasn't there. I immediately felt hope begin to take over me, a smile forming on my face. All hope wasn't lost yet.

I could do this!

I started walking confidently to the front gate, opened it, and rested my hands on the doorbell. I pressed it and heard footsteps coming my way. The door unlocked and burst open, revealing a middle-aged woman in her pajamas with a huge smile on her face. I noticed dark bags had formed under her eyes. Her hair was messy and she looked like she hadn't showered in a few days.

She grabbed me, embracing me into a comforting hug. Tears pricked at my eyes and I hugged her back, holding onto her jumper for dear life.

"I'm so relieved you're ok," she said into my shirt.

"Me too, I love you," I said endearingly, my voice laced with honey. We stayed like that for a good 5 minutes before going inside the house and closing the door.

"I-I heard what happened, and I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you," She gulped. "I'm sorry I didn't make more of an effort to understand you. I just didn't think you would do something like this." My mother started choking up, tears forming in her eyes.

Oh.

She thought I tried to kill myself.

"N-no, mum, that's not what happened," I muttered without realizing what I was saying.

She looked me dead in the eye, confusion taking over her. "What? If not, then what happened?"

I swallowed down the lump in my throat and braced myself for what I was about to recount. Clenching my fists, I breathed out and said, "well, you see...."

After I explained what had happened I looked down to the ground, squeezing my eyes shut tight. I silently prayed that she would believe me. She had always believed my father over me, which is why he had gotten away with abusing me my whole life.

An old memory popped into my head. It was when I was nine and my dad was feeling bored so he decided to set me up for theft. He then stole my mother's earrings and I later found out that he had sold them for a huge load of cash. He then blamed it on me and needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

I heard something in the midst of my daydream, "sorry, what did you say?"

"Lair," my mum spat, glaring at me with daggers in her eyes. She looked at me with a disgusted face, like nothing I had ever seen before. Her mouth was twisted into a snarl as bitter as unsweetened coffee. Her temples looked like they were on the verge of bursting and her knuckles were pale.

It shook me to my very core. My breath had been snatched away and I just stared at her, dumbfounded. It was like someone had just slapped me across the face, the mark still fresh.

I was sure this would work.

Why didn't it?

"Get out," she muttered with poison seeping in through her voice.

This couldn't be happening.

No, no, no, no.

This couldn't be how this ended, I loved her too much.

"GET OUT!" She shrieked at the top of her lungs. "How dare you tell such a shameless fib?! Trying to make your father look like an abuser, you filthy child. Just because you have so much pride that you can't even admit that you tried to kill yourself! You disgust me, I hope I never lay my eyes on you ever again." She said, her breathing heavy.

Her face was a shade of crimson at this point, with steam pouring from her ears. She looked like a bull when it saw red, about to attack.

I didn't have any time to process anything, but a nagging voice in my head was screaming for me to run and run and run until my legs gave way. She was definitely not to be messed with.

Without a second thought, I bolted towards the door, hearing my mum screaming. I burst through it, the rain much heavier than before. Sprinting across the front yard, I wondered what I was going to do after I had made it far enough away from my mother. But the pounding in my head was too loud. All I could think of was to run, run, run.

I should've known it would turn out this way.