Chapter 2

Techno's base was in the form of a small tree-less area by a stream, hidden among the thick undergrowth and trees. She followed him inside and studied the base as Techno got a small fire going in the center. In one place was a tent made from many cloth, she presumed that was where he slept. Next to it was a small backpack, as well as two empty bottles.

"One of the better bases in the arena," Techno explained, noticing that she was glancing around, "It's decently well hidden and there's fresh water nearby. Some contestants don't have a proper base yet, even though we're a week into the games already."

"You always call it 'the Games,'" she stated, "Is that what it's actually called? Do you have any idea what this really is?" Techno shrugged.

"After explaining the rules to us, the only other thing the voice said was 'let the Games begin,' so all of us just decided to call it that," he told her, "And who knows what this really is. I don't feel like taking a guess. They said that the final contestant standing is the winner, though, so I don't know about you, but I want to be that contestant."

"We can't be allies forever, then," Kayla said, sitting next to the fire. Techno rummaged through the small backpack and pulled out a handful of berries, tossing a few to her.

"That much is obvious. Eventually, we're going to have to part ways," he replied, "But there's twenty contestants out there right now, making alliances and enemies just like us. As long as we don't betray each other, we've got quite a while before we're down to, say, final four."

The two sat there in silence for a few minutes. Kayla was contemplating her situation, trying to make sense of everything that had happened since she woke up in the arena. Techno had said that she entered the Games after they already began, and commented about how that was unusual. She was still confused, though, for she couldn't think of a single coherent reason that put all the puzzle pieces into place.

Techno was thinking about how to train the small girl.

"It's still early morning, and there's quite a lot to do," Techno finally said, standing up, "I want to teach you to climb trees, let you practice your weapon more, and teach you about the arena and the other contestants. Come on, let's get going." He slung the backpack over his shoulder and held the vines open for her. Kayla nodded her thanks and stepped through.

"What first? Tree climbing?" She questioned him as they walked through the forest. She was careful to walk as silently as Techno was, for she wanted to prove that she would be a good ally to the male.

"No, I want to take you around the arena first," Techno told her, "It'll take up all of the morning and to early afternoon, since the arena is pretty big. Plus, that way I might be able to show you a couple of the contestants. We might even talk with a few since some of them aren't quite keen on killing yet."

"Okay, sounds like a plan," Kayla replied, nodding, "So, is the arena just one big forest, or are there other parts to it?"

"This forest is just part of the arena, though it's one of the larger biomes. There's a small lake, which is where we're heading right now, as well as a large field and some larger hills," he explained, "The lake is near the center of the arena."

"Does anyone live by the lake?" Kayla questioned.

"If I remember correctly, I believe Tommy, Tubbo, and Ranboo live nea there," Techno said, "Following this stream leads straight to the lake, and more than a few times I saw the three of them hanging around there. Those three are allies as well. From the first day in the arena, Tommy and Tubbo took a strong liking to each other, and Ranboo became part of their group a day or two later."

"I see. Who are the other contestants?" Kayla asked.

"I could list them, but I have a feeling that you won't remember them very well," Techno sighed, "So that's why we're going to go find all of them. At least, most of them. Look, you can see the lake up ahead." He pointed through the trees, and Kayla squinted her eyes to spot the shimmering of water in the distance.

The two approached the lake, coming to a stop next to the shore. The water was a stunning light blue, reflecting the sunlight into bright flashes. The lake was calm as well, with only light waves tainting the surface. Across the other side, Kayla could spot a few large hills and an open field. If it weren't for the fact that she was trapped in here, it would be quite nice.

"Hey!"

She turned towards the voice and spotted two boys, who seemed to be a few years younger than herself, running towards them. Techno's grip tightened on his sword, but it seemed more as a precaution than anything.

"Hello, boys," Techno said, "How have you been doing?" The two males slowed to a stop in front of Techno, breathing quickly. The taller boy had golden blonde hair and bright blue eyes that shined when he smiled. A sword, similar to Techno's, was slung across his back. The shorter boy had brown hair and brown eyes, and he carried an axe as his weapon.

"We're good!" The blonde exclaimed, "Ranboo went hunting for food and we were just hanging around the lakeside when we spotted you-- hey, who are you? I've never seen you before." The boy turned towards Kayla. After a quick side glance to Techno, she waved awkwardly.

"I guess I should introduce you guys," Techno chuckled, "Boys, this is Kayla. I found her earlier this morning near my base, and it seems that she is a contestant as well. Kayla, this is Tommy and Tubbo." He pointed to each boy as he said their names, and the two waved politely to her.

"It's nice to meet you," she said softly.

"How did you get into the Games?" Tubbo asked, "I thought no one could enter the arena after the Games began. Kayla, do you happen to remember anything from before the arena?"

"Fucking hell, Tubbo, how dumb are you?" Tommy snorted, "She obviously doesn't remember anything, or else Techno wouldn't say that she was another contestant. Right?" Techno gave a curt nod, proving the boy's point.

"Well, Ranboo should be back any moment, and I bet he would love to meet you!" Tubbo added excitedly, "How about we go to our camp?"

"Alright, then," Techno replied, shrugging. Tubbo began walking along the lakeshore, towards their camp, with Techno close behind. As Kayla turned to follow Techno, though, she felt someone grab her shoulder and pull her back.

"So, you're another contestant, huh?" Tommy asked, standing beside her.

"I guess," she responded, "Though I'm still a bit confused about everything. How come we can't just leave the arena? How did we forget our past? Why do we have to partake in the Games?" Tommy huffed angrily.

"You and everyone else," he muttered, "So are you and Techno... allies?" Kayla nodded her head eagerly.

"Techno was the first person to find me, and I think we get along quite well," she explained, "He said he would teach me to climb trees and use my weapon and stuff."

"He has a reputation here already as a ruthless fighter," Tommy informed her, "Out of the three contestants who already died, one was an accident, one was Dream's kill, and one was Techno's." She raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry, but I don't know who Dream is," she said, "And I already know that Techno killed someone. He sort of—let it slip. That's the point of the Games, though, innit? As long as I'm not the one he's killing, I could care less." Tommy shivered lightly and faced towards the lake.

"Well, I do care. Even if I don't know any of these people, I don't want to kill them! Nevermind that, though. I'll leave Techno to tell you about the other contestants. You know, I really don't know why I'm talking to you about this," Tommy admitted, "I don't even know you that well. You are a pretty pog woman, though, I'll give you that." She smiled at his compliment.

"Well, thank you. How about we hurry and catch up with the others?" Kayla suggested, "I'd love to meet Ranboo." At the mention of his teammate's name, Tommy snickered.

"Ranboo and Tubbo have been acting all weird and shit around each other," he told her, "It's so strange! Come on, it's so hard not to notice it once you know!" He grabbed Kayla's hand and dragged her after the others.

———————————————
A/n - Second chapter pog! I am sitting bored in hotel room rn so I posted this, but I will try to post here once a week (bit more if I'm busy,  but don't worry, chapters will come) =)
Trying to push past writer's block for both this and Bee Boi <3
~Your lovely author