Chapter 26

There was a smirk on the beanie man's face as the four stood in shock and confusion.

"What are those?" Phil whispered urgently.

"I don't know!" Techno replied in a hushed tone, "They're some kind of a weapon, I think." Sam fidgeted nervously, twisting his trident between his fingers, before he took a deep breath and turned towards Techno.

"Should we fight them? Or should we just do as they say?" There was a concerned look in his eyes as his gaze darted over to the group of people and then back at Techno.

"If we fight them, I don't know if we can win, since we don't know what those—"

"Gun," Kayla muttered simply, cutting him off, "That's a gun." She tried swallowing the lump in her throat as Techno gave her a look of confusion, silently asking how she knew. She didin't respond. Instead, she felt her fingers loosen around the grip of her sword and winced as the blade clattered loudly on the hard floor.

"Don't know about you two, but I'm taking Kayla's word for it and not taking my chance with those...guns," Phil replied under his breath. He held out his hand that was holding his sword and let it fall to his feet as well.

"I...I don't like this, but I hate to admit you're right," Techno sighed with a bitter tone, "I'd much rather have my soul within my body instead of who knows where." He threw his sword onto the ground with a frown, crossing his arms, and Sam followed suit with his trident.

A flash of movement caught Kayla's eye and she watched the man with the brown hood and antlers slip away from the group and down the hallway. Blinking her eyes, a quick glance around confirmed that no one else had seen him depart. When she glanced back over to the beanie man, she found that the cold smile on his face had grown wider.

With a quick nod is his head, eight of the strangers in blue uniforms surrounded the four and pointed their guns towards them. Kayla gasped in surprise as they closed in, and Techno's hand firmly gripped her shoulder and pulled her closer to the other three. They were squeezed together, their backs pressed against one another, as the people approached. Suddenly, though, an unfamiliar hand reached out and wrapped around her torso, jerking her away from Techno, Phil, and Sam.

"Techno!" She shouted in shock, frantically tugging at the arm. The pink haired male flipped around to her direction and his eyes widened. He yelled out something that Kayla's couldnt hear and reached towards her. A person blocked him, though, and for a moment, Kayla could only see the distressed expression on Phil's face before the three disappeared from her view. Another hand took hold of her shoulder and pulled her back, pressing a damp, white cloth to her mouth and nose.

When she inhaled, her lungs were filled with a sickly sweet scent that she vaguely recalled from a time long ago. Her head began to spin and it almost seemed as if the room around her was turning fast circles, transforming everything into a hazy blur. Kayla's knees buckled from beneath her as a strange, fluttery feeling bloomed from her chest and her vision blacked.

- - - - - - - - - -

Boom.

Boom.

Techno clenched his teeth as his shoulder throbbed from the repeated contact with the rusted iron bars, and with a defeated sigh he turned around and leaned his head and back against them, sliding down to the cold, dusty ground. Phil was seated across from him in the small cell, bucket hat pulled down over his eyes and his black wings drooped around him.

"What did you expect to happen?" Sam asked, "That they would just shatter and we would be free?" The man in the gas mask sat a few steps to Phil's right, spinning the small crown that normally sat atop his head on his finger.