Chapter 15

"Ranboo, wake up!" Techno exclaimed loudly as we approached camp. He let go of Kayla's arm, which throbbed from his firm grip, and jogged over to Ranboo's tent.

"Huh?" Ranboo said groggily, sticking his head out. He rubbed his eyes and looked up expectantly at Techno.

"Get your sword, then come on," Techno told him urgently, "We don't have any time to waste!" Ranboo nodded in confusion and ducked out of his tent, coming to stand next to Kayla.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"Beats me." She shrugged, and the two of them waited as Techno grabbed something from his tent before jogging back over.

"Let's go," he said hurriedly. The three set off, with the sun barely over the horizon.

"What's going on?" Kayla questioned Techno, "You still haven't told us."

"Yeah," Ranboo agreed, "It seems important."

"I'm not completely sure what happened, but there's a problem at Sam's camp," Techno explained as we followed the stream, "While I was out on a walk, there were these long, red vines hanging from the trees and covering the ground."

"Red vines?" Kayla muttered in thought.

"When I walked closer to investigate, I found a thick wall of vines blocking off Sam's camp from all around," Techno continued, "I swore I heard multiple voices coming from inside, so I ran back to get you both as backup."

"Oh my—" Ranboo stuttered, his eyes drifting to something behind Kayla. She flipped around and gasped as her eyes caught sight of a blood red vine on the ground.

"What the hell is that?" She whispered. Her eyes followed the vine up into a nearby tree, where more of them hung.

"Wouldn't I like to know," Techno huffed sarcastically, "Come on." Their pace slowed as they walked towards the vines, ducking their heads beneath them and swerving around patches that littered the floor.

"Techno!" Ranboo whispered urgently, "Is that...?" Ranboo's voice trailed off as he pointed upwards towards something in a tree. Kayla looked up where he pointed and blinked in surprise.

Sam's trident, Puffy's sword, and Foolish's sword hung from the tree, with multiple thick, red vines wrapped around them. Techno motioned for Ranboo and Kayla to step away before swinging his sword at the vines, cutting straight through them.

The three weapons clanged to the ground, and Kayla watched in shock as the severed vines withered away right before her, until they were no longer there.

"Each of you grab one, I'm sure they'll need these," Techno ordered quietly. Suddenly, loud voices erupted from deep within the vines, but Kayla couldn't make out what was being said.

She grabbed Sam's trident off of the ground, checking for any remaining vines, and waited as Techno and Ranboo both picked up a sword. Then, Techno waved for Kayla and Ranboo to follow him inwards.

"Here's the wall," Techno said under his breath. In front of them was a thick wall of vines, so thick that Kayla could barely see the light coming from the other side.

"And this circles their whole camp?" She questioned, studying the vines. Techno hummed a response, holding his sword up to the vines.

"We have to break through these," he told them. Then, he swung his sword at the wall and cut through a portion of it. The severed vines dropped to the floor and withered away.

"It's— it's growing back," Ranboo said in shock. The three of them paused and watched as vines grew back to fill the area that had been cut off.

"We're going to have to cut an entrance and slip inside quickly," Techno decided, "We don't have much time. Three."