Chapter 29

Kayla couldn't bear to look at Karl's dead body for long. Her heart was burning inside her–out of anger, out of sorrow, out of want–no, need–to figure out her identity and the identities of those around her. She had grabbed the blood-stained knife from the ground and exited the office, leaving Schlatt and Karl's bodies behind.

She traveled quickly down the hallway as her mind raced, stopping suddenly when the passageway ended with a wall in front of her. The only direction she could go was to the left. She panicked for a moment, thinking she was lost, but then remembered Karl's words. She faced the right side of the hallway and backtracked, passing two metal doors and then finding herself standing in front of the only wooden one.

Kayla reached her hand out shakily, placing it on the cold, metal handle and pushing down until the door clicked. She released it again and watched anxiously as the door creakily swung open to reveal a small, dark room. She was about to step inside where she heard footsteps, so with a gasp of surprise she slipped inside the room and quietly shut the door, leaning against it.

"Are you sure she's down here?" a voice asked.

"He says that she should be."

"Well I don't see her anywhere. Hey, are you certain?"

Kayla's eyes widened as she recognised the three voices. She pulled herself away from the door and opened it, sticking her head out to see four figures standing awkwardly in the hall. The pink haired one turned towards the sound and his expression turned to one of relief when he saw her.

"Kayla!" He exclaimed, "We were worried that you might be dead already!"

"How did you guys get here?" Kayla asked in disbelief.

"This man over here came and saved us," Sam said with a hint of a smile, "Can't talk, though. We've spent a long time trying to decipher his hand movements."

The tall, gas-mask wearing man pointed to a familiar figure standing to his right. It was the man Kayla had seen earlier–wearing the brown hood and antlers. The person waved at her and started making fast, quick motions in her direction.

"Umm..." Kayla hesitated, glancing at Sam.

"Beats me," he shrugged.

"What happened to you, Kayla?" Phil asked, 'We were so worried when they separated you from the three of us."

"They...well, this man named Schlatt wanted to kill me," Kayla explained slowly, thinking through the recent events herself, "He started saying all these things about how I caused trouble for him and how he thought he'd seen the end of it when I was put in the arena. Then this other person busrt through the door—a boy I had seen in a couple of my dreams before. His name was Karl." The mute perked up at her words, tilting his head to the side.

"Then what? How are you not dead?" Techno asked.

"Karl threatened Schlatt with a small gun," she continued, "And then he actually shot him. Right in the chest. But then Schlatt took this knife–" She held up the dagger. "–And killed him with it. They're both dead inside the office at the end of the hall."

The antler man gasped in shock and suddenly ran towards the office. The four shared a look before Techno cleared his throat and motioned towards the doorway to the room that Kayla stood in.

"So, what were you doing before we arrived?" He asked curiously.

"Oh—oh!" Kayla exclaimed, remembering, "Before Karl died, he told me how we could get our memory back! He told me that we needed to restart the computer in this room."

"Get our memories back?" Phil repeated in disbelief, "Really?"

"I trust Karl," Kayla told him, "He died to save me."

"Well, let's get on with it, then," Sam stated, peeking through the doorway into the dark room. Kayla laughed softly and ran her hand against the wall until she came across a small bump, pushing upwards on it so that it clicked and the room was suddenly lit.

"How did you do that?" Techno questioned in awe.

"It's a...I forget what's it called," Kayla said, "But I remember using it in the past. It makes a room become bright. Look—that must be the computer." She pointed to the strange gadget that sat atop a wooden table along the side wall of the room.

The computer looked like a large box, all black in color while one side reflected the light against it. There was a rectangle shaped object on the table in front of the computer as well as an black oval connected by a black string to the back of the computer.

"So, how do you restart it?" Phil asked.

"Listen, I don't know any better than you do," Kayla chuckled, shrugging her shoulders, "I've just been guessing." She walked up to the table and poked the front of the computer with her finger, tilting her head to the side in thought when nothing happened.

"Let me try—" Techno suggested, appearing at her side. He lightly drummed his fist against the rectangular object on the table, which made a clicking sound.

Suddenly, the screen lit up.

"Oh!" Kayla gasped in surprise, "Nice job, Techno." The pigman smirked at her and she laughed.

A blue circle made of dots appeared on the white screen, blinking in and out of existence. Then, the screen turned black again before a dull blue background appeared with a gray box in the center of the screen. The word 'Password' was visible above it.

"Password," Sam read, standing behind Kayla and Techno, "Did Karl happen to tell you the password, Kayla?"

"He did." She nodded at him and glanced down at the rectangle. There were individual boxes on it, and each had a letter or number written on them. "He said it was 'Systems24'."

She held a finger over the rectangle, slowly pressing down on each letter and number of the password until she had finished. Nothing happened, so she looked back down at it. Something in the back of her mind was saying that she needed to press the 'Enter' key.

Kayla did so, and the gray box disappeared to be replaced by a bright blue background. There were a couple small squares littered around the screen, but only the black one in the bottom left caught her attention. Karl's instructions were running through her mind, and they somehow sparked a memory inside of her.

Phil said something, but she couldn't hear him and she placed her hand on the black oval and moved the tiny white dot on the screen to the bottom left corner, pressing down her index finger. It clicked beneath her finger and a black box, separated into three smaller sections, appeared in the center of the screen.

'Restart Systems?' A piece of text read. Below it, inside each of the smaller boxes, were 'Yes' and 'No'. Without a second thought, she clicked the box that said 'Yes'. The screen suddenly turned black, and Kayla held her breath.

A dark blue box appeared in the center.

404 Systems Not Found

"We did it," Kayla breathed, a smile forming on her face, "That's it. Once we take out the microchip, then we'll have our memories again."

"How do we do that?" Phil questioned excitedly. Kayla lifted up the sleeve of her sweater and pointed to the tiny scar that Karl had pointed out to her.

"It's right in here." She picked up the knife, which was stained a rusty red with dried blood, and held the point against the scar. She clenched her teeth as she pushed down into it, slicing a thin slit in her skin. Blood beaded on the small cut, and then she quickly flicked the tip of the knife upwards. A tiny metal square popped out of her arm, gray and green in color.

Suddenly, her head began to spin dizzily and the room around her turned to a blurry mess of color as the memories crashed down on her all at once.

——————————————
A/n - Ahhhhhhhhh XD
We're getting close to the end! Ty for 5k!
Lots of love <3
~Echo ;)