Chapter 19

"Did Ranboo kill Sapnap?" Kayla asked in disbelief after pulling back. Wilbur raised his eyebrows as the two turned around to see Ranboo staring blankly at Sapnap's body, next to a tree. Suddenly, Wilbur's eyes widened and he pushed Kayla downwards, ducking back as a sword flashed past where they had been.

"I've got this, go check on Ranboo!" Kayla exclaimed, shoving Wilbur in the direction of the boy. Wilbur stumbled forwards before quickly regaining his balance and running towards him. Eret frowned and swung again, but Kayla met his blade with her own, catching him off guard.

"You never answered my question from before," Eret stated, his sunglasses staring directly at her. Kayla narrowed her eyes and attacked again, but Eret swiftly parried it and aimed his blade towards her chest.

"If you're so desperate to know—" she responded, dodging quickly, "It's Kayla." Both of them stepped back and circled each other, Eret's multicolored cape flapping in the light breeze.

"Kayla!" Techno's voice was strained and fearful, something that Kayla had never heard from him before. She looked over to see her friend clutching his right side with his left arm, red dripping between his fingers. She opened her mouth to yell back, but a flash of green was running towards her at full speed, axe raised.

She barely lifted her sword in time to block the axe as it swung at her, the force of the blow pushing her back a few steps and throwing her off balance. She gritted her teeth as she jumped to the left, Dream's axe splitting into the sandy grass.

"What are you doing?!" She yelled at him in panic. Dream attacked again, sending his axe flying towards her stomach. There was a fury and hate radiating from him, even if Kayla couldn't see his facial expression.

She jumped back, narrowly avoiding his weapon, but the masked man wasted no time before another swing of his axe was approaching. Not able to dodge, the sharp end of the axe sliced deep into her right shoulder.

"If you just told me how to get out of this fucking hell hole, then maybe he wouldn't have died!" He exclaimed furiously, his voice cracking, "Maybe we would have gotten out!"

Kayla grimaced, taking in a sharp breath as the pain seared through her shoulder. Her sword clattered onto the ground as her left arm quickly reached up to cover the open wound, her hand becoming sticky with her own blood.

"It wasn't my fault," she said in desperation, "Dream, if I knew how to leave this place, I wouldn't be here right now!"

"Lies," Dream scoffed, taking a step closer to her, "How else would you have gotten in here? That's all a bunch of lies." He leaned in closer, so that his smiling mask was almost up against Kayla's face.

"Dream—" she stuttered hesitantly.

"And I'm going to make you pay for it," he uttered under his breath. Kayla's eyes widened, and she staggered a step back in order to put distance between herself and the masked man.

Her heartbeat was racing, thumping so loudly through her ears that it drowned out her surroundings. Everything else was muffled, as if it didn't matter anymore. All she could focus on was the throbbing pain coursing through her shoulder and the man standing across from her.

"Any last words, Kayla?" Dream asked, a bitter edge to his voice. He heaved up his axe from standing upright on the ground, flexing his fingers over the worn wooden handle. Kayla's eyes found the stains of dark red on the side of the head.

It felt like the world slowed down around her. As if her legs were frozen in place—rooted in the ground—while his axe swung towards her chest.

"Fuck—no!" Someone yelled frantically. A hand grabbed the sleeve of her sweater and dragged her backwards, a figure of a person pushing in front of her. She watched his body jerk as the dreadful sound of bloodshed jolted her awake from her trance.

"Wilbur!" She screamed, recognizing her savior. He fell to the ground at her left, his body limp. She dropped to her knees next to him, frantically grabbing his right wrist while trying to ignore the tear in his shirt, the blood seeping through and soaking into the cloth.

After a few seconds, a wave of relief flushed over Kayla upon feeling a faint but steady heartbeat beneath her thumb. Wilbur was still alive. He wasn't dead—just unconscious.

A hard object connected with the left side of Kayla's back and threw her off of her knees. Her injured shoulder collided with the ground first, sending a flash of pain through it. She bit her lip and carefully flipped onto her back to ease the pain from her wound, her wide eyes locking on the sharp point of an axe inches from her face.

Her eyes followed the head of the axe down the hilt and then up to stare into Dream's mask. The two were silent for a moment as Kayla breathed quickly, her eyes locked onto the haunting smile. She could barely make out a cold laugh from beneath his mask, his shoulders bouncing lightly.

"Well, that was sweet," he chuckled, "Sweet, but absolutely useless."

Kayla felt her heart drop inside her chest, but, for some reason, she didn't feel that upset. There was a chance that Wilbur would die before they could heal his wound, so how bad would it be if they both died? Maybe it wasn't that painful to die.

Maybe the only difference would be dying earlier than later.

She thought about the quiet moments she spent with Wilbur and the kiss they shared in the darkness of the evening. She thought about Techno and everything he had done to keep her safe. About Ranboo and how much he suffered after his teammates' deaths.

With the ghost of her memories at her fingertips, she let herself relax.

Yet, before Dream could even take a swing, a shining blue object flew between herself and Dream, knocking his axe away from her. It flew back to its owner, a man in a green hoodie and a black gas mask. Still in a daze, Kayla watched as Sam clashed with Dream, the attention pulled away from her.

After a quick look back at Wilbur's limp figure, the pain from her shoulder overwhelmed her mind and everything went dark.

———————————————————
A/n - Yooo ty guys for 2k!!!!!
These last two chapters were very fun to write and I hoped I scared y'all for a few seconds >:)
Lots of love <3