Chapter 12

Kayla rubbed her eyes and exited her tent, only to find Ranboo sitting in the same spot as last night.

"Morning, Kayla," he greeted, "I woke up around half an hour ago. Did you manage to fall asleep?"

"Yeah, I did. Where's Techno?" She asked, looking around, "He's not in his tent." She walked over and sat next to Ranboo, wrapping her arms around her knees.

"He left a few minutes ago. Said he wanted to scout out the arena after everything that's happened in the past days," Ranboo explained, "He won't be back for another hour or two, probably."

"Ah." Kayla stood up and grabbed a handful of berries from the storage area, popping them into her mouth. They sat there in silence for a few minutes, until Ranboo finally spoke again.

"I've forgotten. I feel terrible about it, but there's nothing I can do," he sighed, "I had two teammates. I know I cared a lot about them. But I can't—I just can't remember a thing."

"I'm sorry, Ranboo," She whispered, leaning her head against the tree. He sniffed and wiped his face with the back of his hand.

"Ranboo! Kayla! Hello," a voice said brightly, popping out from behind the tents. Kayla gasped loudly, jumping to her feet, while Ranboo scrambled to grab his sword.

"Wilbur, what the fuck!" Kayla exclaimed in annoyance, "You scared the shit out of us!" The beanie-wearing man laughed at their surprise and walked closer.

"Sorry about that," he apologized sheepishly, "Phil went with Techno on his scouting journey, and I would have been bored just sitting in our camp. So, I came to find you two."

"Don't just pop out of nowhere next time," Kayla sighed, dropping back down to the ground. Wilbur nodded understandingly and sat down across from them, laying his sword at his side.

"About yesterday—" Wilbur started, lowering his voice, "It's so weird with so many people missing from my memory. How are you both doing?"

"I could be better," Kayla replied with a shrug.

"I almost feel guilty about forgetting who my teammates were," Ranboo noted, "All I know is that Sapnap and Dream killed them. And I know that I want revenge against them both."

"With a bit of help, I'm sure you can," Wilbur said with a nod, "Would you two be willing to come walk with me by the lake?"

"I'd rather not," Ranboo declined, "Not in the mood. Sorry, Will."

"I'll go with you. As long as you're okay being on your own, Ranboo," Kayla replied.

"Go ahead," he told her, "I'll be fine."

"Great, let's go," Wilbur said eagerly, "Bye, Ranboo." Kayla waved goodbye as well and followed Wilbur through the forest. Soon they reached the lakeside, and the two turned directions to walk along the shore.

"So, Wilbur, I've been meaning to ask you something," Kayla started nervously, "When we see each other, do you ever get—"

"—a strange familiar feeling?" Wilbur finished for her, "Yeah, I do. As if I had known you before we entered the arena, before our memories were wiped."

"What do you think it is?"

"I don't know. It could be anything," Wilbur said, shrugging. Soon enough, they came to the area where two contestants had died the day before. Kayla paused, looking at the scene.

"This is where Ranboo's teammates died yesterday," she told him, "I remember I was sparring with one of them when Dream and his allies attacked us." Wilbur shook his head and frowned before the two continued walking.