Chapter 17

Kayla opened her eyes for the first time in days without having a nightmare. Wilbur's arm was draped over her stomach and she could still hear his gentle breath from behind her. She carefully shifted to lay on her back, pulling her arm out slowly to rub her eyes. A smile spread across her face when she felt Wilbur twitch, inhaling deeply as he woke.

"Morning," she whispered, turning her head to look at him, "Sleep well?" Wilbur opened his eyes and yawned before smiling back at her.

"I did," he replied, sitting up halfway to plant a quick kiss on her forehead. "And now that I'm awake, it's dawned on me that I'm quite hungry."

"Get up, then," Kayla laughed. She sat upright, crawling out of the tent and holding the flap open for Wilbur to come out right behind her. Techno was already up, throwing wood over the fire, and he looked over at them.

"Morning, lovebirds," he teased cheerfully.

"Very funny, Techno." Kayla rolled her eyes, feeling her cheeks heat up slightly.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" Wilbur asked. Techno wiped his hands against each other while tapping his foot against the ground in thought.

"How bout a nice day by the lake?" Ranboo suggested, stepping out of his tent with a yawn, "I don't know about you all, but I want a break after all this action."

"That sounds like a good idea to me," Kayla hummed with a gentle smile, "I'd enjoy that." Wilbur nodded his agreement from beside her.

"Well, I guess it's settled," Techno decided, "I doubt Phil will have any objections when he wakes, anyway. Now, about some breakfast—" Kayla could hear Wilbur's stomach rumble loudly and she couldn't help but laugh.

Soon enough, Phil stumbled out of his tent and the five made their way down to the lake. The grass turned sandy as they approached the water's edge, a light breeze causing ripples over the otherwise calm water.

Wilbur sat down cross-legged in the sand, tapped his lap, and looked up at Kayla with a smile. She sat down in front of him and leaned back until her head was against his lap closing her eyes in the warm sunlight.

She felt Wilbur running his fingers through her hair, tracing the braids down the sides of her head and fixing some of the small tangles at the ends. She opened her eyes again, glancing over at Ranboo, who sat nearby, his eyes fixed on the lake.

"Spar with me?" Techno asked Phil. The winged man nodded, and the two unsheathed their swords and took position a couple steps away. They took off in a blur, sending small clouds of sand into the air, and the sounds of their swords clashing together filled the air.

"I wish things could stay like this," Wilbur whispered to her, "It's so peaceful and calm."

"Yeah," Kayla replied after a beat, looking up at him, "I almost want to just take a picture of this moment and live in it forever. Why can't everything just stay like this?"

"Maybe if this wasn't our destined grave, it could." Wilbur smiled sadly, addressing the depressing truth of their situation. Kayla didn't respond, taking in his words, as he began to hum a soft tune.

"So close," Techno laughed, stabbing his sword straight down in the sand. Phil chuckled as well, jogging a few feet towards the forest to grab his sword, which had flung out of his grip. When he returned, the two set off again.

"Alright, Ranboo?" Wilbur asked. Ranboo blinked and turned towards them, nodding his head.

"Just thinking about, I don't know, everything," he replied with a sigh, "I miss my two teammates. I guess if there's nothing I can remember about them, then I'll hold onto the feeling that we cared about the world for each other."

"Oh, Ranboo—" Kayla sat upright, moving to sit next to the younger boy. She wrapped one arm around him, squeezing him into a soft hug, before pulling away again. Ranboo squeaked out a word of thanks, turning his attention back to the lake.

"It's a tough thing to go through, losing the people you care about," Wilbur muttered as she took a seat at his side, "You can never quite forget them completely. But, in this case, you can never quite remember them as well."

"I don't want any of us to die," Kayla whispered with a frown, leaning her head against Wilbur's shoulder. As he was the taller one, he rested the side of his head on top of hers. They stayed in that position for a while, Wilbur's hand finding hers and holding it in comfort.

A flock of birds flew out of the treetops from the edge of the forest. Kayla watched them flutter in a great black cloud until they reached the blue sky.

"Wait—" Wilbur lifted his head and squinted in the direction of where the birds came from. Out of curiosity, Kayla did as well, wondering what Wilbur was looking at.

A flash of white in an otherwise green forest.

And the click of a crossbow, and an arrow flying in their direction.

"Wilbur!" Kayla yelled. Wilbur pushed her down into the sand as the arrow whizzed over their heads and planted itself deep into a tree behind them. Techno turned away from his sparring with Phil and blocked a second arrow that had been fired towards him.

"Up, Kayla, up!" Wilbur exclaimed, grabbing her arms and pulling her to her feet. Wilbur picked up his sword from the floor and Kayla unsheathed hers as well, and next to them Ranboo held his sword so tightly in his hands that his knuckles were white, a fearful expression on his face.

Four figures burst from the trees and ran towards them. Another arrow fired, missing to Kayla's left by a few inches. The four people were close enough that she could make out who they were.

Dream, in his green hoodie and white mask. Along with Sapnap and Bad. The fourth person, though, was a man Kayla had never seen before. He wore a gray shirt and black pants with tall, shiny black boots. There was also a flowing cape behind him, striped with pink, purple and blue, and dark sunglasses covering his eyes.

Eret. It could only be him, as he was the only contestant Kayla had never met before.

"How the fuck are they all together?" Phil exclaimed to Techno.

"Doesn't matter!" Techno shouted back as he studied them carefully, "I'll swear now that this is the last I'll meet Dream in battle. One of us is going down." His expression fell grim with determination as he rushed forward, his red cape billowing behind him.

Their two weapons clashed together, shattering the fragile peace that had just barely formed.

———————————————
A/n - Uh oh—
Sorry for ruining the happiness XD
Ty guys for 1.5k tho!! :)
Love y'all <3