Chapter 20

Techno leaned back as Eret sword swung through the air, holding his sword with only his right hand while his other stayed firm over his wound. Luckily it wasn't fatal, but the cut in his right side made it painful to twist and move.

He could only pray that Kayla and the others were still alive as he was forced to direct all his focus and energy against Eret. He dodged to the left, not even bothering to block the blow with his sword.

"Need some help, there?" A voice said from behind him. Techno blinked and he twisted his head backwards just as a figure darted past him and met Eret's sword head on.

"Puffy!" Techno exclaimed in surprise.

"Phil came and found us," Puffy explained as she fought Eret, "Sam and I had heard the cannon shots before, and we were going to investigate, but Phil came and told us what happened. So here we are."

"Thank you, Phil," Techno exhaled in relief. He focused back onto the fight, where Puffy was beginning to overwhelm Eret. Techno easily connected his foot with the Eret's stomach, sending him to the ground. His sunglasses flew off his face, and when he opened his eyes after the impact of falling, Techno paused for a moment upon seeing his pure, white eyes.

"I'm sorry," Eret said quietly between breaths, "I only chose their side because I thought they would win. I thought I could stay alive for longer. I guess I chose wrong." There was a hint of a sad laugh in his voice as he stared at Techno.

Techno didn't break his eerie gaze, even as Puffy's sword stabbed through his chest.

When he finally looked away, the first thing that caught his attention was the fight between Sam and Dream. The second being Kayla and Wilbur laying on the ground. Techno felt his heart jump in his chest, but since he heard no cannon shot for them, they were porbably still alive. And, even if the two were dead, there was nothing he could do.

Techno ripped a strip of fabric from the bottom of his shirt and tied it tight around his waist to help clot the blood from his wound. He would have to deal with it later. Then, he turned his remaining strength towards helping Sam and ran towards their fight.

Techno could feel Dream's frustration and anger as the masked man became forced to fight Sam, Puffy, and himself at once. Although he was skilled, there was only so long that Dream could hold his own. His axe swung in circles around himself as he tried his hardest to keep the three at a distance, but it was not before long that his parries weakened and his energy dropped.

As Dream ducked below Puffy's sword, Techno's blade sliced across Dream's mask, a loud crack echoing in the air as the material split in two. A moment later, Sam landed a deep cut into Dream's stomach, tearing through his green hoodie, and the masked man fell to the ground, his mask bouncing against the ground in two halves at his side. Techno held his sword up towards his neck as the four froze in place.

So this was the face behind the mask.

His hair was a dirty blonde in color, matted and messy, and his eyes were a bright shade of green, matching the forest behind him. Light freckles dotted the skin around his nose, and, for once, Techn could clearly see the expression on the man's face. His chest bobbed up and down as Dream breathed when he and Techno met eyes.

"You've won," Dream conceded, "I admit it, you've won. We had such a good chance, too, if the two of you didn't show up when you did. Now—I've really lost everything." There was a pain in his voice that Techno had never heard before.

Techno opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Dream sighed, his gaze dropping to the ground.

"The only thing I regret is not getting revenge for my one friend's death," he added quietly, "Both, actually, considering that Sapnap's died as well. Just—just kill me now, will you? I'm sick of this arena. I'm sick of all of it. I'd rather be dead." He fell silent for a moment as the other three took in his words.