Chapter 8

Kayla grabbed her swords from their scabbards and snapped them together, just as one of the people ran at her. She recognized him as the same person who killed one of the contestants the day before; Punz.

He swung his sword at her but Kayla dodged it and held up her sword to block his attack. She clenched her jaw at the strength of the blow, struggling to hold ground.

Beside her, Tommy fought George, the contestant in the white goggles. Although Tommy wasn't as skilled as him, he kept up and defended against George's attacks.

Tubbo and Ranboo held off the one in the bandana, Sapnap. The two of them, not as good as Tommy, barely blocked every blow that Sapnap threw at them.

And finally, Techno and Dream. Kayla couldn't help but glance over every once in a while at their fight. The two were both incredible with their weapons, and neither could land a single blow. They flew around the field effortlessly, their weapons only flashes of silver.

Then she heard the scream. Kayla gasped, ducking Punz's sword, and glanced over to see Tubbo holding his side, with Ranboo standing protectively over him.

"Tubbo!" Tommy yelled, slipping past George and running towards his friend. Kayla followed behind him, dodging Punz's attacks and running towards the three.

"Is Tubbo okay?" Kayla shouted, running beside Ranboo. She blocked Sapnap's sword and their two weapons clashed, pushing against each other.

"Fuck, there's so much blood," Tommy muttered fearfully, "Tubbo, don't die, please, don't die! How the fuck do you stop blood?!"

"Sapnap caught him in the side," Ranboo said, turning to fight George, who had followed Tommy over.

"It hurts," Tubbo whispered, "It hurts so bad—" Techno ran over, biting his lip upon seeing Tubbo.

"Tommy, let Ranboo help Tubbo," he ordered, "You, me, and Kayla hold them off." Dream, wearing a white mask, laughed and swung his axe towards them.

"Do you really think you can win this fight, Techno?" Dream questioned teasingly, "You may be my match, but what about them? One injured, and three who can barely block every attack."

Then the world turned to slow motion. Punz fired an arrow from his crossbow at Kayla, and she raised her sword to block it, watching the arrow hit against her sword and fall to the ground. She turned and saw Tommy's sword fall out of his hands from Sapnap's blow, and the contestant in the white bandana slipped past the blonde boy, running towards Tubbo.

"No!" Kayla exclaimed, turning around. Ranboo blocked George's sword and looked behind him too late, for Sapnap was fast approaching. Tubbo's eyes were shut and he never saw the sword come down into his stomach.

"Tubbo! No, no, no, no," Ranboo cried, dropping down next to the brunette boy. Kayla quickly ran over and swung her sword at George, who clumsily blocked it, losing grip of his sword.

"No, Tubbo, no please don't be dead," Tommy whispered, kneeling on the other side of his friend. Kayla bit her lip, with Tubbo down and Tommy and Ranboo in shock, only Techno and herself were left to defend against their four attackers.

Kayla quickly disarmed George, kicking the sword away. The goggle-wearing man narrowed his eyes but ran after it, leaving her to help Techno.

"Tubbo's gone, isn't he?" She asked Techno, standing beside him. Techno frowned but didn't answer, concentrating on keeping both Dream and Punz away.

"It's your fault!" Tommy yelled, running at Sapnap with his sword raised, "It's your fucking fault that Tubbo's dead! You and Dream and George and Punz —it's— it's all of your faults!" It was like a great fire had been lit inside the boy, and he attacked the contestant in the white bandana with a fury and anger Kayla had never seen before.