9 | The Ivy League~

Maki was walking on the streets of the capital alongside Cain, his red-haired junior, when he spotted a girl standing on the sideroad, talking to particularly nobody.

He saw the moment Cain's face shifted into a look of disgust. "Is she a deranged lunatic or something? She just spoke to thin air."

Maki didn't respond. He took off his circular glasses and wiped the lenses with the hem of his tunic. It was getting a bit foggy.

"Cranks like her are the reason why the streets are so filthy," complained Cain. Then he perked up. "I have an idea." He rubbed his palms together as he schemed.

Maki put on his glasses back on his nose, just in time to see the glint in Cain's eyes before he strutted closer to the girl. Oh no. What is he doing?

Cain pretended to walk by. Maki watched as Cain intentionally bumped her on the shoulder with his.

But the girl acted as if she hadn't felt a thing, or rather, she was lost in her own deep thoughts.

Cain frowned. When he didn't get the results he wanted, his head swiveled back. "Hey. You're supposed to apologize when you bump into someone."

Maki sighed. This is that idea of his? He smiled and shook his head. That's so low, even for you, Cain.

"I'm talking to you, you manner-less lunatic!" Cain grabbed ahold of her arm.

In an instant, the girl reacted by locking his arm and twisting the bone near his shoulder. Cain was rendered speechless as he stared up at her. "W-What? You wanna brawl?"

Maki's brows shot up. She's fast. And skilled.

He inspected the girl's profile: she wore baggy clothes that did not fit her at all, and a couple of hay straws were even stuck to it. Her neck and arms were covered in layers of bandages as if she were severely injured. Her hands were also sheathed in gloves.

Seeing her and Cain head-to-head with each other, Maki would think they were siblings since they both had hair the deep shade of red. Maybe they were long lost siblings?

Suddenly, the girl let go of his arm. She released an irritated sigh. "Tsk. Waste of my time."

That seemed to insult Cain. "What'd you say, you mannerless woman?!"

She walked away with her hands in the pockets of her baggy kecks. He had never seen Cain so frustrated. Maki couldn't help but snicker.

"Be quiet, Maki!" Cain aimed to follow the girl, perhaps to settle things out, but Maki put a stop to his plans. He grabbed onto Cain's shoulder.

Cain looked at him in disbelief. "That girl needs to be taught a lesson," he reasoned.

Maki shook his head. He tilted his head to the direction they were originally headed. "We have places to be."

Cain's face fell even more. He furrowed his brows. "Fine. Whatever. Let's go."

Maki nodded in approval. Good boy.

They continued their journey towards Crescent Peak. They had to cross the wide and rowdy district of the Emporium before they got to the outskirts of Reknay, the name of the capital.

Soon, they reached the start of the bridge that allowed them to cross the river that surrounded Crescent Peak. Maki and Cain walked side-to-side together at a normal pace.

Maki was tall and brown wavy-haired. Both he and Cain wore the black and golden-lined uniforms for the League. Around his neck was a beaded talisman and, on his side, he held a large black book in his hand.