26 | Not In This House~

Lazardo dragged her up the stairs until they were out of sight.

"Don't you ever burst out like that ever again," he told her as he led her down the corridor, heading towards his uncle's study.

"Who was that person," she asked him. "He looks like someone I knew from the past. Too much." She could have sworn it was Ludo. She could never forget a face that easily. Hair as black as raven, same nose, same voice, same mouth, same everything. The only thing different about him was that his eyes were now blue when they used to be black, and that he had a white stripe of hair in the front which she thought looked ridiculous.

"He's one of the most powerful beings to ever live, so don't even think about approaching him again. He'd sniff you out in an instant."

For Lazardo to use such big claims to describe one man, it made her want to see just how powerful this person was. "Is he a part of that Ivy League you told me about?"

"He used to be."

He opened the door to Lord Koi's study room."Uncle!" But the room was empty, and the windows were covered. Books were properly stacked on the table and not a single grain of life was found. "He's not here."

Seren followed him walk back down the corridor, checking room after room but received no luck. "Are we looking for that elderly man with the funny-looking mustache?"

He laughed at her description. "Precisely that person. You've only seen him once but you remembered." They passed one of their open guest rooms which he directed her to stay in. "Why don't you stay here while I go look for my uncle." He patted her on the shoulder before nodding, then left, calling for Luce and some other person's name she had no idea how to pronounce.

She walked over to the floor-to-ceiling windows, gazing at the scenery of the front garden outside. They were quite high up, and it had the perfect view of whoever visited the villa. She looked around at the quiet room, finding it to be quite extravagant, surrounded by shelves of books, portraits and lamps hanging on the teal wall. She was in awe until she gasped in fright when she saw a figure standing on the side. She thought she was alone all along. The man had a natural melancholic look on his face. He bowed his head to her silently, in greeting and at the same in apology, and then he continued to do what he was doing—stirring a cup.

A series of footsteps thumped on the floor. She was surprised to see that the person that looked like Ludo enter the room, and by the looks of it, he also looked surprised when he saw her. In fact, he looked like he had no idea what to do next. Seren felt the tension in the air. She knew part of it was her fault because of her sudden outburst. She had said that she would kill the man. She was brought out of her stupor when he cleared his throat to break the silence.

"Have you, uhm," he said, waving his hands like he was trying to tell her without actually telling her what he wanted to say. He tried to say it in a manner that didn't come off as offensive. "Are you finished with your medications yet?"

"What? Oh." She had almost forgotten that Lazardo described her as 'koo-koo' in the head. She took a seat in one of the cushioned seats big enough to swallow her. "Yes, I have. I'm much better now." I promise I won't attack you this time.

"Would you like some?" This came from the man with the melancholic look. "What's that?" she asked him, eyeing the tiny kettle he was holding.

"Coffee."

"What's coffee?"

She sniffed the aroma lingering in the air as he poured a dark liquid into a tiny cup. That smells delicious, she thought. She took a sip of the drink. her brows shot up. "Nice."