19 | Bad Days And Bad Nights~

2 Years Ago...

Reknay, Iveneterra

It was midnight and the streets were hollow, when a disheartened Nique walked alone with a heart full of needles.

He covered his mouth and looked up, shutting his eyes, and preventing the tears that threatened to come out. But it was useless, because seconds later, he let the dam break and flow.

He let himself cry on the streets as he walked towards Koi House. With his other hand, he clutched his chest, the Ivy League pin in his grip. He ripped it from the fabric of his tunic and threw it onto the passing sewers. It clinked a few times before it fell inside.

He breathed in sniffles. His vision was overtaken by the tears, so he let himself be supported by the walls of the buildings.

This can't be happening, he thought. Why did it have to be Jude?

When he reached the double doors to the Koi House, he let his forehead and forearms lean against it, breathing raggedly. He knocked a number of times, but nobody answered him. He knocked again for what seemed like days until the locks finally twisted. One of the doors swung open.

"Prince Nique?" said an estranged Lord Koi. He was an elderly man that had a white mustache and wore a monocle over his right eye. He questioned the young prince. "What are you doing in my house?"

Nique held onto the door for support as he clutched his chest harder. His face was a mix of agony and tears. "I..." he trailed off. He slid down to the floor. "I can't take it anymore..."

He hit the floor, wincing, gritting his teeth. It hurts. I can't breathe.

"Goodness," the Lord Koi said. He yelled to the inside of the house. "Lazardo! Lucian! Come over here!"

A series of hurried footsteps came tramping down the staircase in front of the grand foyer. Lazardo and Luce came at the same time to witness Nique shriveling on the floor, and Lord Koi trying to hoist him up.

"Fifth prince?" Nique heard Lazardo say. "But it's Goodwill Season. He's supposed to be in the Kingdom of Fengchen."

"I need"—Nique's voice strained— "your help."

A set of hands helped to carry him up. They carried Nique into the dining hall, hoisted him down to a chair. And that was when Nique's body pulsed with Ribbons.

Nique couldn't prevent himself from releasing a gritted sound. His chest was getting tighter and tighter—hotter and burning with fire. He was sweating profusely, his lips chapped, and his head being thrown back.

Nique said, "I think it's happening. The awakening." His brows were furrowed in pain

"Prince Nique, did something perhaps... happen?" asked Lord Koi. "Awakenings do not just... happen."

Tears slid down from Nique's face—from the pain in his chest and from the pain he was feeling in his heart.

With red-rimmed eyes, Nique only whispered an answer.

"I saw Jude... die."

Just from saying the words made him relive the moments in Fengchen, the moment he watched the life in Jude's eyes went dim.

Nique... I am glad I got to have you as a brother...

"Yesterday," Nique said. He squeezed his eyes shut, sobbing. "He died yesterday. In front of me."

And he had been feeling this absurd pain in his heart ever since then. He had left the Kingdom of Fengchen on a whim and travelled non-stop. He had only arrived in the Koi House just now.