16 | Shipped To An Island~

Bargeesa Island, Iveneterran Territory

Seren's head was throbbing in an immense pain.

Once again, she felt cold—the sort of cold that felt feverish. When she closed her eyes, she felt the heat. When she tried to breath, her ribcage hurt like it was about to break. Her arms felt soar as if she had worked them tirelessly for days. She felt like hell. She could never get used to this feeling.

She was sweating hard despite it being so cold. Her slow and heavy breathing was so loud it was the only thing she heard for a long time, and for a long time, she had no strength to open her eyes. She knew her head was hanging down because her neck felt soar, yet her body felt so weak that she could not even move, or hear, or see and smell, the place she was in.

The only thing she knew was that she sat in the darkness.

Alone.

Again.

She sat in the darkness, and it felt so familiar to her.

She hated it. She wanted to be in a place where there was light. She feared getting trapped into a deep slumber for another two hundred years, because for two hundred years, she had forgotten everything, and all she knew was the name of the darkness, and the way the darkness stared into the depths of her soul.

Because Seren's biggest nightmare was to fall asleep.

What if she fell asleep and failed to wake up? What if she just played in the darkness all over again, doing nothing for all of eternity?

That was Seren's biggest fear.

And that was why she wanted to wake up from this nightmare. She was sleeping but she was perfectly aware of it—so she was actually fully awake. She just needed to open her eyes.

This is all Ludo's fault. I should have died hundreds of years ago.

The irritation she felt gave her eyebrows the strength to furrow down. Little by little, she regained her sense of hearing.

There were loud deep creaking noises, a few frequent bumps as if an object slid down and hit a wall. Everything sounded like it was made of wood. Except for this one sound—it was a devouring yet soft sound, one that gave her the mental image that it liked to drag its victims into the deepest depths of the world.

It almost sounded like waves.

Funnily enough, it sounded like she was at sea. She could even smell the salty essence of the seawater.

A loud metal groan came from the upside. A trapdoor was held open by a Garrison. She could tell he was a Garrison based from the golden metal chest plate he wore.

She squinted her eyes at the sudden presence of light. So, she was not asleep after all. She was just in a very dark place. She was in the innards of a ship.

"Get up and move!" shouted the Garrison. Seren winced at the noise. So loud, she complained in her head.

When she did not move, the Garrison tugged on a rope.

Seren's face was suddenly met with the wooden floorboards of the ship with a thump.

She groaned as her knees skimmed the chippy surface. Her body still felt soar. She could only guess that while she was unconscious, some entitled Garrison beat the hell out of her. She could even probably guess who it was.

"Move it, redhead! We aint got the whole day. You're lucky you're the only prisoner that was shipped this month or else you'd be sitting beside a corpse by this time."