13 | Captured Like A Bad Guy~

200 Years ago...

Mahanzi - Second Realm

Seren got her face buried in the grass. She groaned as a large hand held the back of her head, keeping her on the ground. She tasted the dirt on her lips—got a peek on what cows ate for their lunch and dinner. Grass tastes like crap. I can't see why cows like them so much.

She tried to pull herself up, but Maddin Gog held her head down. Why the hell is he trying to suffocate me?

"This is what you get for ignoring your training," Maddin Gog criticized. He was thrice her size, so Seren failed to see how she could possibly get out of this one. "Look at you. You can't even hold yourself against me. Again."

He let go of Seren's head. She sat up, gasping for air.

Air! It feels so good in my lungs!

Her face was brown from the dirt. While she knelt on the grass, she stared up at Maddin Gog like he was the devil. He might as well be, because he pulled this crap almost every time she sparred against him.

From the side, sitting on a boulder was Astra, her cousin, watching her like a peeping tom. He was snickering at how pathetic she was. "You are so bad at this, and you consider yourself Maddin Gog's student?"

Seren glared at him. "Don't you have stuff to do? Like choking on your own tongue and dying?"

Astra looked smug. "You're probably going to die first before I do anyway."

"You piece of shi—"

Seren ducked as she foresaw the wooden staff coming for her head. She hit the bed of grass once more as she went back to her session with Maddin Gog.

"Who told you to bicker?" Maddin Gog scolded. Seren threw Astra one last glare before focusing back on Maddin Gog. "Stand up."

She did. And she picked up her wooden staff from the ground. She spun it on her hand and readied herself. She positioned her feet on the proper stance. "I won't fall down again."

"And if you do? What are you going to do if you fail to uphold your words?"

"I'm going to sit by the reflection pond and think about my actions."

"No. You're going to climb that mountain and stay there for two days." Maddin Gog swung his staff without hesitation.

What?? Seren was surprised by his words. Climb that mountain? That's absurd! Her off-guardedness caused her to take a larger impact. Maddin Gog was a big and burly man. He wore a crown of feathers on his head—it gave him recognition that he was the leader of the clan. His arms were bulky and were as stiff as a rock, and he practiced the kai arts really well.

Seren sucked at all of these things and Astra knew it. Everyone knew it. Even she knew it.

Stupid! STUPID!

STUPID ASTRA!

She was mad, now. She only sucked at the kai arts but she was doing really well on the others. She wasn't entirely useless. Plus, the elements hated her.

Maddin Gog and Seren stood in front of each other, their staffs planted on the ground between their feet—it was called the ready stance. Then, they both rushed forward at the same time.

Seren took the first swing, bringing the upper part of the staff downwards, then doing the same to the lower part and swinging it upwards. Maddin Gog held his staff horizontally and parried all of her movements in quick, reflexive speed.