Bullies & Ice Cream

The sun shined into the large first-grade classroom of Donam Elementary School. Decorating it with golden light. A young Bennie was doodling on a scrap piece of paper, patiently waiting for class to be over, so she could finally escape the pairs of eyes that were staring judgingly at her.

Bennie tugged at her skirt. School uniforms were always uncomfortable for her, and she always hated dressing "girly." But thankfully, the school allowed her to wear tights underneath her skirt so she could have a bit more coverage.

Bennie swung her legs back and forth, trying to release some of the tension in her muscles from her vigorous ballet practice last night. She had been working herself harder than usual lately when it came to her dance practice. 

But she knew that success wasn't an easy task, and one day all of her hard work would pay off.

She started to daydream of herself on a giant theater stage, with all the lights shining down on her. Bennie was immediately in her own small world when the imaginary music began to play. She moved around the stage as the song continued to play. Her movements were sharp and powerful yet still gentle and detailed when they needed to be. 

She closed her eyes and let her body move along with the music as she swayed side to side in her seat.

Suddenly her fantasization was interrupted by the soft shouting of her teacher.

"Okay, class! You're dismissed! But Remember! The talent show is on Tuesday. If you want to audition, let me know, please!"

The bell rang, letting the young children go home for the day. Bennie began to pack her stuff until she heard whispers behind her again.

"Look, there's Darkie." A little girl with pigtails sneered at her friends

Bennie looked away and shut her eyes. 

This always happened.

She was aware of the insults by now. No one would directly insult her to her face. They would only whisper about her behind her back. When she walked by a group of kids, they would either walk the other way out of awkwardness or fear or even worse. They would continue to walk next to her and stare at her judgingly. 

Bennie tried not to let their actions get to her, as her dad taught her to do, but sometimes their words cut deep.

"I heard she was born in Africa," One of the girl's friends whispered back. 

"She should go back to the desert," A girl snickered back.

Bennie felt a frown growing on her face, and she felt her lip starting to quiver. She quickly held back her tears when she remembered what her older brother Eli told her. "Do not show weakness, and if you do, the enemy wins."

The girls giggled at each other as they walked out, leaving Bennie in an empty classroom. She pathetically packed up and swung her backpack lazily over her shoulder.

"Bennie, can I speak with you before you leave, please?" She heard her teacher call out from behind her before she reached the doorway.

Alert by her sudden request, Bennie walked over quickly to her teacher's desk curiously.

Her teacher Mrs. Jeong was about 30 years old and was the only person who was genuinely nice in her class. She had chocolate brown hair that was usually pinned into a tight bun. She always wore some sweater that went well with the rest of her outfit.