Heartbreak

Aw, come on! We're all friends here, right? You can't hate me that much!

Korra: Yeah, I think they can.

Asami: Seriously, though, who the hell is Niko?

He's only for the sake of the story, Asami. He doesn't really exist.

Korra: Lucky him. Otherwise I'd have to-

Asami: Sweetie.

Korra: What?

Just calm down! It's only a story. Can I start writing now?

Asami: Go ahead.

(NOTE: In case you couldn't tell, I'm insane xD. I can literally picture that happening if they actually could read this!)

...

The door opened with a harsh 'woosh', almost slamming into the wall behind it. Korra stood in the doorway, her expression unreadable. Naga came running, but Korra didn't give her a second glance. She trudged past her, through the living room where her father was on the couch and her mother was in the kitchen on the other side.

"Welcome home, Korra." her mother greeted. "How was the dinner?"

"Swell." Korra muttered angrily as she kept walking, going up the stairs to her room. She opened her bedroom door in a similar matter and threw herself face down on her bed. Naga lopped in behind her and jumped onto the bed. She nudged Korra with her nose, whining quietly. Korra groaned into her pillow, but reached up and scratched behind Naga's ear. She couldn't stand to face her thoughts alone. It's as if the world wanted her to remember that very moment for as long as she lived.

"Boyfriend?" Korra managed to get out, eyes wide.

"When did this happen?" Mako asked, his tone cautious but not as alarmed as Korra's.

Asami blushed and Niko chuckled. "You want me to tell them?"

"No," Asami replied, shaking her head. "I will." She looked at her friends and took a deep breath. "Niko and I have been dating for a month now."

Korra's mind went up in flames and her knees threatened to buckle beneath her. Her hand flew out to a table to keep her up and swallowed large gulps of lukewarm air. A month...

Mako whistled while Bolin gave a wide grin, his arms outstretched. "I'm so happy for you guys! It's good that Asami finally found someone after Mako." His brother gave him a death glare, but he paid no attention. He wrapped his arms around Niko and Asami. "This is great!"

"Uh-Bolin-you're squeezing." Asami said. Bolin let her go.

"Whoops." he said.

"It's nice to finally meet all of you." Niko said with a genuine smile. Korra's stomach twisted in a knot. "Asami has told me so much about all of you."

"She never said anything about you." Korra said before she caught herself, but she didn't stop herself either. "It's a shame when your girlfriend makes you wait a month to meet her best friends." Korra didn't mask her feeling of betrayal. Tears welled in her eyes and she blinked.