Late Night Serenade

Kuvira made it home late, at least around nine o'clock. She was soaked from the rain and shivering as she opened the door and stepped inside. "I'm home!" she announced.

She heard footsteps on the stairs and looked up to see her guardian, Lin Beifong, coming down. When she reached the bottom of the stairs she looked at Kuvira and crossed her arms. "Ah, Kuvira, finally making it home I see."

Kuvira made no attempt to show any emotion as she just took what she could get. "Sorry I'm late, I had something to do. I'll be in my room if you need me." she said, then started heading for the stairs. As she walked by her, Lin turned around.

"Hey, you should at least get something to eat." she said.

"I'm not very hungry right now, I'll eat later." Kuvira said.

Lin cocked her head to the side and made a face. "You know you should be grateful. I took you in after your incident with your family, and all my teaching that I bestow upon you since you will be the new Chief of Police when I retire and you graduate from high school!"

Kuvira turned all the way around and faced her with still no recognizable change in her facial expression. "Having a rough day I see." Lin still had her arms crossed and made perfect eye contact. "And I am honored to take your place as Chief of Police of this citybut isn't that because you could never have a family of your own Beifong?"

Lin was at the boiling point of her anger with how rudely she was being spoken to. "What is your problem, young lady? I take you into my home, I teach you all of my skills, I put clothes on your back, I give you a good education system, and all the advice in the world to get a boy to like your stiff-neck self and you want to talk back to me like I'm some friend down the street!"

Kuvira eyes sharpened at the last comment, barely keeping her cool. It upset her greatly that Lin still wouldn't bother to acknowledge her relationship for Korra. "And, once again, I appreciate all the things you have done for me." she said, softening her attitude just a bit. "I respect you as my teacher, my mentor, my word of wisdom. But right now, I just need some space at the moment. It might sound difficult to hear, but respect that I'm seventeen years old and still need time to figure things out for myself. You repeating all the things you done for me til' now won't change that at the slightest."

Lin relaxed a little bit and looked to the side, brushing it off. "Do whatever you want. Just make sure you do your training, and find yourself a boyfriend while you're at it."

Kuvira rolled her eyes and turned back to the stairs, heading up to her room. When she finally made it to her room, she couldn't think of anything but her feelings toward Korra. As she lie down on her bed, dropping her bags, her thoughts clouded over with the fear of Asami taking Korra from her. It wasn't like she had much to worry about, but there was still that nagging feeling in the back of her mind that kept her wary. She wasn't always an emotionless outcast. She showed her feelings around people she cared about, those that wouldn't use them against her or to their own advantage. Korra was one of those people, Asami and her friends were not.

I have waited four years for this moment, I must keep myself in her heart no matter what it takes...

She paused in her thoughts as she forced her face into her pillow. "But I won't mess up like a fool. Not like Asami did." she muttered into it.

Kuvira got up from her bed and opened her closet, shifting her belongings aside until she came across what she was looking for. She got out her guitar. She sat back onto her bed, placing it in her lap and stared at it. She ran her fingers along the strings. "It's been a while since I played with this but" -she played a few notes and smiled to herself- "still got it."