Midnight Comfort

Scratch... Scratch....

Ice carefully chiseled the piece of ice on his workbench, the tool in his hand moving irregularly from the texture of the ice.

With fingers bandaged from some minor mistakes, Ice finally gave himself a break and let his back rest from bending down. He set the tool down, and went to observe his work.

He smiled, satisfied at his work. He blew away the residue of what he's chiseled, revealing a big beautifully carved snowflake. He was careful not to step on any of its legs.

"Quake, come look! I like this one!" he called Quake who was just done carrying some ice to the workplace. The icicle fairy quickly set the ice down and went towards his younger 'brother' fairy.

He put an arm around the snowflake fairy. "Let's see what you've done, yeah?" he encouraged, Ice nodding happily.

Quake observed the snowflake Ice just carved. "Look at that curve you did, it's very nice. You've improved alot since the last time we did this."

Ice clapped happily at the compliments. As a snowflake fairy, he expected many things in his carving skills. He and Quake moved the finished snowflake to the side where other complete snowflakes were piled up neatly, waiting to be packed into the baskets provided by the Summer border.

They bowed to the fairies doing the packing, encouraging their work. Turning around they caught site of Thunder managing the younger fairies near the drop ship for the baskets coming in that day. Feeling excited, they went to him.

"Thunder, are you busy?" Quake asked the older fairy. Thunder turned around to meet them, a handmade clipboard and some decorated lead in his hands.

"Nothing too hard that can't be handled. What brings you here?" He asked. At that moment a snow owl came whooshing down towards them after completing its quest, sudden wind hitting their faces and sending their hair flying in their eyes.

Ice spat out some hair and redid his hoodie back onto his head. "I just finished work snowflakes, Quake finished bringing some ice for us too. We wanted to see you so we came!"

Thunder nodded, appreciating their visit. He fixed his hair that was always bring blown around by the constant wind sent by the owls. "In a few days we will have enough baskets to fill all the snowflakes in. Maybe I will write another thank you letter to them after this."

"Yeah! We're helping us out alot!" Ice clapped, his eyes suddenly averting to something behind Thunder as they felt a breeze.

Thunder saw a shadow towering over him and a nudge by something fluffy from behind. Turning around, he made eye contact with a snow owl. Right of the bat, he saw a foreign color in its beak. The owl leaned, telling Thunder to take it.

Quake and Ice moved to his side to see what the object was. The owl stayed as well, as it was looking to rest anyway. Thunder unfolded the green leaf to reveal a handwritten letter.

Thunder exhaled. He'd recognize the handwriting anywhere.

"Hello Winter border, this is the lead organiser Cyclone! On behalf on the Summer border, I hope you're pleased with the handmade baskets we've made. One day I hope we can meet so we can exchange ideas in person. Have a good one!"

"That's a nice name, 'Cyclone'. Wanna meet them someday too!" Ice blurted out, looking over Thunder's shoulder at the letter.

Quake's attention was fixated on Thunder who didn't say much after reading the letter. As the younger could see, his eyes were reading the letter again, his fair complexion dusted with a light pink, and his fingers were caressing the foreign colored leaf. He decided to distract him. "Will you write a letter to them after all, Thunder?"

Thunder heard him and he was brought back into reality. "O-oh.. Yes, of course. It'll be.. Impolite not to," he answered carefully. He folded the leaf and put it with his clipboard. "Uhm.. Why don't you bring Ice for a break? I'll lead the owl back to its home."

Quake was slightly taken aback by the sudden request, but he wasn't one to judge so he'd accept it. "Right.. We'll wait for you at Kaizo and Fang's place then. We said we'd visit them today."

"Of course. I'll meet you there..." Thunder made his exit quickly after giving Quake and Ice light pecks on the head, the owl carrying him on its back.

Quake watched him leave, a mix of suspicion and slight worry mixing into his expression.

.............

They had a good time at Kaizo and Fang's place, Thunder took back the drink maker to repair it. Well, for Cyclone to help him fix it. He'll find a way to sneak it out somehow. He always does and always will.

It was night now, and he was on the top of the frozen waterfall that looked over the frozen over lake they use to dance on, a quill and paper in hand. He'd originally wanted to write a thank you letter back to the Summer border, but it seemed harder than it should be.

It wasn't that he found discomfort in Cyclone, in fact he loved Cyclone. He loved him very much. Thunder always feels safe near him. He's just thinking... Should he tell someone as well? Someone on Cyclone's side knew, maybe someone one his side should know too.

But, he's uncertain. Scared almost. What if they won't accept it? What if they ask too many questions all at once? What if he can't answer them all? Thunder is afraid that if he told, he'll lose everything in the process.

"Ah, so you're here." Thunder turned around to see Quake landing on the ice behind him, giving the older fairy a friendly smile. "You weren't in your room when I went to say goodnight, so I figured you went out on a little flight."

"I thought you'd slept." Thunder watched as Quake approach him.

"I was going to, but like I said, I forgot to say goodnight," Quake chuckled. He stopped next to Thunder. "Can I sit here?" After a nod, he settled down beside him.

"You only come here when you have something on your mind, just like last time. You would escape during the night and sit here alone." Quake's smile eased his uneasiness slightly.

"I was a difficult child back then. I rebelled alot, hence was scolded alot, so I would come here to ease my thoughts," Thunder clarified. He looked down at the blank paper in his hands, chewing his lips.

Quake looked over. "Oh? You're having trouble writing back a letter to the Summer border? You never have any problems with that..."

Quake observed his older 'brother', seeing bits of uncertainty and conflict in his eyes. Clearly, there was something bothering him, but he didn't seem to want to tell him. Or rather, scared to tell him.

Quake finally found his smile back, and sighed lightly. He reached out and took the quill and paper from Thunder's hands, earning himself a confused stare from the frost fairy.

"I'll help you write it, you can tell me what you want me to write," Quake told him. He faced Thunder, giggling at the confused expression he wore.

"I know that you have something on your mind, maybe you're conflicting with yourself on what to do with the problem," Quake nodded to himself. "I'm not you, so I can't make decisions for you, but I just want you to know that I'm here whenever you need someone to talk to. Until you decide to tell us what's on your mind, we'll still be here. We're your brothers, after all."

Quake smiled as he turned to Thunder, mentally reassuring him. Thunder was speechless, he took a while to digest those words, savouring the meaning of every word. He, too, managed the smallest of smiles. He only nodded as a thanks, but that was enough for Quake.

Quake deepened his smile, his eyes smiling with his lips. He lifted the quill and paper to his face level, waiting to fill the paper with words. "Well then. Whenever you're ready!"

Thunder sighed in content. He gave another nod, looking up to the starry night sky full of the Northern lights.

"Dear Cyclone of the Summer border...."