Little Midnight Chat

The night was peaceful. No critters sneaking round. House lights were blew out, leaving the handmade poll lights to illuminate the surroundings. And some fireflies as well. The moon was risen a while ago, and the sun was set at the same time. Having gone back home from such activity, Solar laid on his bed, eyes still wide open.

Cyclone hasn't returned yet, and he wondered for a while where he had gone. Maybe he was suddenly called to help some of his seniors while returning, and maybe it was taking longer than they had thought it would take. Oh, he wondered.

He didn't mean to miss a whole day's plans with Leaf. They were indeed going to do them, but as they made their way from the hall, some of his seniors needed his assistance. He'd considered turning it down, but Leaf had beat him to it and pushed him into their hands before he could protest.

By the time he had finished, the day had very well passed. It wasn't like he didn't like helping his seniors, heck, he would help at any given time, at any given place. He was just... Sad that he left Leaf hanging like that, cancelled their plans to be done on another different day.

He was, however, more than delighted to hear that Leaf was spending the day with Cyclone, it eased his worry and guilt just a tad bit. With Leaf's endless chatter and storytelling when he arrived home, Solar couldn't help but smile.

It was quite odd to him. Whenever he saw Leaf, his mouth would creep into a smile at its own accord. Whenever Leaf laughed, his eyes would light up and laugh along with him. Even when Leaf would be doing nothing, Solar would catch himself staring sometimes, without knowing why.

Solar snapped back into reality, and realized his face was rather hot, he slapped his hands onto his cheeks, hoping to lessen the odd feeling.

Butterflies. Yeah, they would find another day to do that.

When he dusted himself off and was finally ready for bed, he heard a little jingle coming from the hut next to his. Ah, he thought to himself. Cyclone had finally arrived back home!

Solar got up to greet him. A little friendly face in the middle of the night won't hurt anyone. He saw the light glow of the older wind fairy at the door of his hut, fixing something on the door. " Welcome back, Cyclone, " he greeted as he hopped his way to him.

Cyclone seemed startled for a second. He turned around to face Solar. " Oh, little Cub. It is you. What are you doing up so late at night? You didn't just come back, did you? "

" I came back a few hours ago, but I couldn't seem to rest well. I was just going to try and sleep when I heard you come home. "

" Ah, I see. " Cyclone unlocked his door and entered his home, inviting Solar inside. " It's been quite an active day for all of us, has it not? Seemed to me that every one of us had something to do for the day. "

" I agree. A very active day, " Solar sat himself on a chair. " You and Leaf must have had fun. He's had a lifetime's worth of stories to tell it seems. "

Cyclone went over to one of his tables and started a fire in the fireplace near it. He poured water into a little kettle and put it over the fire. He turned back to Solar, stretching a little bit. " Yes. It was unexpected. It was fun though, even if I had to cancel my plans.. "

Solar's expression seemed to waver a bit. " Oh.. So I've heard. You cancelled all of your plans today to accompany Leaf while I was gone.. I-I should apologize, if I hadn't been busy, you wouldn't have had to- "

" Hey, little Cub. Calm down now, " Cyclone made Solar look at him in the eyes. He flashed him a warm smile. " There's so need in any way, shape or form to apologize. You couldn't say no to your seniors, none of us would. You couldn't control what was about to happen, and it wasn't your fault. And, besides... "

Solar awaited him to finish his sentence. Cyclone snickered. " ... You've been hogging Leaf for yourself and I've had barely enough time to spend with him with you around! "

Solar visibly turned bright red and pushed Cyclone away playfully. " You put words in my mouth! I absolutely have not been! "

" Your tomato face tells me otherwise, young Cub! "

" No, it doesn't! You're mean tonight, Cyclone! "

Cyclone let out a good laugh and eventually left Solar alone. He picked up the kettle and poured himself some of that freshly brewed tea. He dropped a few shredded flower petals in for some, decoration. Solar sat closer to him, still looking a little sulky.

" So did you finish what you set out to do? What was it that you needed to do anyway? "

Cyclone seemed to stop. He quickly went back to stirring his hot cup of tea. " Y-yes, I have. I.. Uhm.. " The wind fairy took a breath to collect his thoughts. " I.. Actually received a letter from my senior earlier today that I went to collect tonight. "

He hoped his fluttering wings won't give him away.

" Really? So you have the letter on you right now, then? What does it say? You've read it already, haven't you? " Solar seemed eager to know of this letter that Cyclone have received.

" Yes, I have the letter right here. It's just something the Queen wanted to give us. It's to inform us that we'll be doing some business with the Winter border soon. Come closer, Cub. You wanted to see, didn't you? "

Solar indeed came closer and sat on the table Cyclone sat at, carefully avoiding the hot cup of tea by his side. Cyclone pulled the light source that illuminated the room closer, enabling them to read the hand written letter better. Solar smiled at the light emitted from what Cyclone called the 'lamp'.

" Oh! How exciting. They want giant baskets to store their snowflakes in, and they are asking for our help to make them for them! "

" Yes, it is that time already. They must be getting rather busy. "

" What do they need them for? Why are they wanting to store their snowflakes? " Solar asked.

Ah, that's right. Solar wasn't here for any of that yet. " Well, like I said, it's that time. It's for the mainland, the one that we've told you about. "

Solar beamed. " Oh, the mainland! So that means that winter is arriving in the mainland? "

" Yes, and no. It won't be arriving so soon. The Winter fairies just want to prepare the snow and snowflakes quite early so there won't be any errors in the last minute. As for the requested baskets, they need them to store the snowflakes so that they can pour it all over the mainland easier. "

Solar seemed to understand better now. " Can we all help? There are only so many fairies who can tinker. "

Cyclone nodded, sipping his tea as he put the letter aside. " Yes, I would think so. The more the merrier and the faster we'll be able to send them off to the Winter border. "

Solar took another look at the letter. After reading, he clapped with excitement. " It's so cool! That means we get to go down to the mainland and clean up the snow in time for spring. " His smile, however, faded when he realized. He looked back at his unmoving wings, sighing as he looked down in shame.

" Oh, Cub, " Cyclone was quick to comfort him. He patted him on the head. " It's not impossible. We will think of something until then. We always do, don't we? "

Solar gave him a reassuring smile, and nodded, " Yeah, we do. "

Cyclone returned to him the same kind of smile. " Very well. It's quite late now. You should get some sleep before your rising of the Sun later today. I think I'm gonna head to bed soon as well. "

Solar seemed pouty when Cyclone had to drag him off the table and towards the door. It definitely seemed like he didn't want to leave, but he didn't think he would want to bother his oldest brother for any longer.

" I'll see you later today then. Thank you for talking to me. Goodnight, Cyclone. " Solar waved at him as he hopped onto a nearby mushroom. Cyclone leaned on the doorway, and waved back at him.

" Anytime, Solar. Goodnight, " Cyclone said back to him. He watched Solar hop away back into his own home, as he dusted off some white particles off his shoulders.