Breakfast with the Mistress

At that same morning, Thunder, Quake and Ice were at the Mistress's home bright and early. The Mistress was surprised, as no one ever visits her except for her few helpers. When the senior pushed away the vines to reveal the three fairies holding gifts and breakfast, he couldn't bring himself to say no.

" We hope we aren't interrupting, Mistress, " Thunder said, bowing to the senior as he closed the door behind him.

" Of course not, loves. I'm... Always glad to receive visitors, " Mistress of Winter kindly waved her hand. Her expression was rather tense, she fumbled with her slender fingers. She chuckled nervously. " W-Would you like some tea? I just got served a pot of ice rose tea right here.... "

" We would love some, Mistress. Oh, no, let me. Ice, bring the bag here, will you? " Quake politely took the frosty pot of cold tea from her hands, and started to pour as Ice came to his side with said bag full of their packed breakfast.

" We brought some popsicles along, Mistress. Take some if you'd like, " Ice offered with a smile. The Mistress tried to return the smile with one of her own, but it came out as a grimace than what she had hoped. She was beautiful, nonetheless.

They sat at the table in the middle of the room and helped themselves to some of the popsicles and the rose tea poured graciously by Quake. Halfway through her own cup of tea and with her hand holding a half eaten popsicle, she smiled softly at the three fairies around her.

" It may appear rude to be asking, but what brings you to my abode so suddenly? " the Mistress reluctantly asked, fearful of what she said coming out as aggressive or unkind. Though, the three winter fairies just returned her gaze with glances equally as soft.

" We realized you're a little alone in your home, Mistress. We've rarely seen you outside of closed doors, and in those little moments that we've indeed seen you, we have never spoken, so.... " Ice sort of trailed off with his explanation, and he hoped the Mistress of Winter knew what he had meant to say.

" In short, Mistress of Winter, we want to get to know you a little better. Like he had said, we don't see you much, and we want to change that, " Thunder bowed slightly. " If you will. "

This was new to the poor Mistress. Poor Mistress of Winter, stripped from all self confidence and left to fend for herself in her own lonesome. She thought there was no way to retrieve what she had lost, neither physical nor emotional. But seeing her chosen representatives in front of her, she begins to feel.... Something.

She nodded wordlessly to them, a smile forming on her oddly pale face. At her second helping of tea, Thunder suddenly stood and went to fetch another bigger bag he had sitting patiently near the door.

" We have something for you, Mistress, " he said, carrying a circular object back towards the table. The Mistress thought it looked quite heavy.

He placed it down at her feet. A color quite foreign to what she normally sees. A more darker color, bronze, she concluded. She had no idea what it was, a set of numbers and two pointy arrows pointing at different directions, one a little longer than the other.

" My brothers here call it a 'ticking sharp thing', but I've had a different approach. " the Mistress chuckled at Thunder's blunt statement.

" This is what I call a 'clock'. After quite some time observing and analyzing it, we've found out that it can tell the time of day we are in, " Thunder explained, dusting off some frost. " We hope you can accept this as a gift from us to you, Mistress. "

The Mistress carefully observed the clock. Her eyes sparkled at the foreign object, mesmerized by its uniqueness. Thunder handed it to her, letting her fingers hold the clock with a firm grip. " What an odd thing. How ever did you come across something like this? "

Thunder seemed to hesitate. He massaged his nape. " I... I found in the river near the border. It was stuck in the ice just below the log. " Well, in Thunder's defense, it wasn't a complete lie.

The Mistress seemed to find difficulty in lifting it into her arms, but she looked desperate, so Thunder aided her, until it was safely resting on her lap. The sparkle in her eyes remained, a rare kind of behavior for the sorrowful Delicate Snowflake.

" Why, what a pleasant surprise. I've never seen anything like it, " she gave Thunder a gentle smile, her eyes shining, her shoulders relaxing. " I'll keep it as a treasure forevermore. Thank you, loves. "

Seeing the Mistress's gentle expression eased the three young fairies. Quake and Ice felt proud as they stared at Thunder, who remained on one knee, giving the slightest curve round his lips at the Mistress.

They had their last spot of the rose tea and every last bite of the popsicles, striking up conversations and chuckling at Ice's love for bunnies and Quake's embarrassing moments when he was just a bloomer. Thunder wasn't even the one to bring those stories up.

According to the so called clock, it was already past 10, and the three fairies decided to take their leave. Having finished all that they brought, they left empty handed, but with wide smiles and some kisses on the cheeks.

" I must thank you again for coming. The day is now extraordinary with you in it, " the Mistress smiled, watching them leave further down the hallway.

Thunder, Quake and Ice gave her a good wave. " We hope we can spend more time with you again. We'll take our leave now, " Ice smiled, waving the most vigorously out of the three of them.

The Mistress smiled, watched them safely fly off of the platform at the end of the hallway and closed the door. The smile on her face still remained, she pulled her hands to her chest, suddenly feeling a sensation of warmth within.

She turned around, and her eyes laid on the gift given to her. Hearing the faint tick tock of the moving arrow, it eased her worries somehow.

She thought to herself, maybe, there was still something for her in this unforgiving world after all.

" Collin! Collin! " she called expectantly for the senior Frost fairy. " Collin, where you are? "

" I'm here! What's wrong, my Mistress! "

" Come quick! I've something exciting to show you! "

" O-oh, right away, Mistress! "

...............

Picking up some frozen berries and frosted rose petals for dinner, Thunder, Quake and Ice chattered and struck up conversations about that fine morning with the Mistress.

" It was quite fun! I've never talked to the Mistress that much before, and those few hours did wonders! " Ice exclaimed, happily picking up frosted petals from the ground and putting it on the pile in his arms.

" Yes, it's been quite a success, " Quake agreed. He plucked at berry out from its stem, almost stumbling at the sudden weight of it. Thunder rushed over to help him. " Oh, Ice, do bring that bag over here. This one is a rather big one. "

They gathered as many as they could, and returned home with more than enough for a whole month. Thunder moved to the dinner table and started to make dinner immediately.

" Will we be having crushed berries for dinner today? They're my favorite berries too, " Ice peeked from Thunder back as the older was preparing their meals.

" Yes, and we'll be having them tomorrow as well, " Thunder lightly touched Ice's nose. " Why don't you help Quake with the table? Dinner's just a few thousand ticks away. "

Ice nodded and flew back out of the room to help Quake like Thunder had said. And just as Thunder had predicted, their dinner was served within the few minutes. Thunder placed their plates on the table and poured them beverages. He ruffled his front hair when he was done.

" Go on and have dinner without me. There's something I must do, " he said, flying towards the door.

" Oh.... But you will come back to see the stars, will you? " Quake asked hopefully.

Thunder gave it a thought, and finally nodded. " Of course I will. I will meet you at the top of the lake then. "

His little brothers nodded and waved him goodbye. " At the lake we'll meet! "