14: Cold

I ordered Lu Yi to give two silvers and his horse to the two gentlemen.

Before the carriage began to move again, I heard one of them shouted, "Thank you, my lady. We will be forever be indebted to you."

It's not easy being the two-faced Bai Suxin. Actually, it's tiring to be her and I went out of character sometimes. Dear Lord! I'm human. Sometimes my lips slipped and accidentally spat a 'curse' which a big taboo for women in this era.

'A big no-no! Pei! Your father!'

I remembered the comical and jaw-drop expression of Jin'er when she first heard me cursed. It was a funny sight! She looked like she's gonna faint or as if she's carrying the world upon her shoulders.

Jin'er insisted to let me wear the white-transparent clothing on my face whenever we go out of the manor. As an ancient Chinese woman, I must be reserve and can't just show my face to the public. Honestly, it was so bothersome. I'm not even a beauty. No need to cover this plain face people.

As I bear a noble status, I must maintain my elegance and grace. Always and must protect the pride and dignity of the Prime Minister House.

'Pei! What dignity?!'

The next two days, Concubine Zhi hosted a birthday celebratory banquet, especially inviting all noble young girls in the Capital in her palace.

However, everyone have known the true meaning of this banquet. It is for Concubine Zhi to choose candidates to be her daughter-in-law.

Huh! The imperial family can't really be trusted.

Even though Concubine Zhi favors Bai Suxin, nevertheless she wanted to show me that I am not the only option. With her crafty foxy strategy, no wonder Concubine Zhi has risen to power through the years. So cunning! Even after years in the Cold Palace, the concubine still made her glorious comeback to the grand palace.

*clap *clap *clap
That's what we call women empowerment!

For Concubine Zhi's birthday celebration, by floating lotus lanterns in the lake, she asked everyone here to participate and offer their prayer to all the flood victims that happened in the northern region of the empire.

"Lady Bai, I've heard Master Zheng known as the greatest guqin master has resign as your teacher." Bai Suxin's cousin, Bai Yan laughed. My hands that carrying the lotus lantern shook.

Bai Yan reminded me of my evil second sister, Liu Mei! Who likes torturing me! Taking my lunch money when we were in primary school and when we entered high school, my first crush became her boyfriend!

The day after I told her that I plan to confess to Senior, Liu Mei made him her boyfriend. 'That evil girl!'

Squinting my eyes, I never thought that I would miss my evil sister!

"Don't feel bad. We can't blame Master Zheng. With your amazing skills, no one would dare to take you again as their student."

Bai Yan, if only she don't look like my evil sister— Liu Mei, I'd slap her right now. Bai Yan don't need to say that.

I am too. I feel so sorry to my Guqin Master, Lady Zheng. For five years, her efforts were in vain. During our class, her eyes were full of tears, and her smiles couldn't really be called smile anymore. This valuable guqin gifted by Bai Muro have become a waste in my hands.

'I know. I know. I'm guilty! I deserve death!'

Living in ancient China, to qualify oneself as a well-educated person, nobles should learn four skills for self-cultivation and to prove their talent.

The four art skills are: Qin- to play an instrument Guqin (music); Qi- to play Go game (mind sport); Shu- Chinese calligraphy (fine art); Hua- Chinese painting (fine art).

Yup, I am a living proof of failure. Just so-so. That's why in every banquet, the Left Prime Minister Bai Muro would hide this daughter of his in the back. '555.' (*crying)

If Liu Mei's with me right now, she'd say, "Now, you believe me that you're adopted. So useless." Bad sister!

I'm not really talented.

I'm just a mediocre. I can't sing. I can't dance. I can't play guqin very well. I am not even smart as I don't enjoy chess or Go game. And please, don't even ask for my calligraphy and painting skills. My teachers could only vomit blood in surrender.

In my real world, I barely passed all of my exams. Even how much I studied, my score were always only one point above the passing mark. I don't know if I should be thankful that Mom didn't pressure me about anything as she don't expect much from her youngest daughter. 'Yeah, so sad.'

"Lady Bai Yan! How dare you bully my friend?" Li Cha was just in time to defend the pitiful Bai Suxin. My eyes darted to the person at the back of Li Cha— it's the female lead, Chu Wanwan!

Right!

I gulped, feeling nervous at the next scenario in the novel. Sweating, I secretly peeked at the cold lake behind me. I shivered. 'Do I really need to jump?'

I started praying silently. 'Of course, I must jump. It's in the script!'

Everyone saluted the princess. Li Cha glared at Bai Yan. Thus, my demon cousin decided to backed down for now.

"Lady Bai, look who's with me."

"Ah. It's Miss Chu."

The truth is, I feel like crying.

"I borrowed her from Fourth Brother. She's here to apologize to you."

Chu Wanwan slowly raised her head. She's very beautiful even though she's wearing a servant clothes now. The female lead stepped forward and knelt infront of me.

"This commoner sincerely apologize to Lady Bai."

I gulped again.

I slightly bent down forward, then offered my hand to her, acting as if trying to help her stand. Chu Wanwan hesitated but the moment she accepted my hand, "Miss Chu, you don't have to— Ah!"

'Brrr. Mother of Pearls! It's cold!'