Chapter 1

The Pogues were enjoying a hot summer evening hanging out out at a construction site on figure 8.

"That's what? A three story fall to the deck?" Pope asks as he watches John B balance on the roof, a beer in his hand, "I give you about a one in three chance of survival."

John B sticks him finger in the air to test the wind direction, "What do you think? Should I do it?"

Emilie looks up at her friend from her spot beside her boyfriend, "Please don't, I really don't feel like planning a funeral."

"Yeah, you should jump," Pope holds up a drill he found, " I'll shoot you on your way down."

"You gonna shoot me?" John B asks shooting Pope with finger guns while making 'pew' sounds.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kiara's voice echoes while she exits the house she had gone to inspect the inside of.

JJ rolls his eyes, "Of course they do, why wouldn't they"

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles I guess?"

"Not me,"Emilie speaks up, " those bitches will bite off your toes, I mean, I'm all for save the turtles but keep them far away from me."

JJ laughs as Kie scowls at the other brunette girl, " It's okay babe, I'll keep you safe." He smirks.

Emilie rolls her eyes at him, "My hero!" She says sarcastically.

Kie looks up at John B, "Can you please not kill yourself?" She asks.

"You better not spill that beer, I'm not giving you another one." JJ yells at his best friend.

Emilie looks up at John B "If you do die can I please have the Twinkie?" She asks making puppy dog eyes.

"No absolutely no-" he was cut off by a gust of wind making his beer fall from his hands.

"Espèce d'idiot (You idiot)" Emilie says while shaking her head. "It's like that one Taylor Swift song "This is why we can't have nice things."

JJ groans, looking at his girlfriend, " Of course he did, like right when I told him not to." He says making her giggle.

They group was interrupted by a shout in the distance.

"Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up."
Pope said looking at his friends.

Emilie jumps down from the scaffolding they had been sitting on.

"Let's go boys," Kiara smirks.

"Gary is that you?" JJ yells while jumping down after his girlfriend.

Emilie grins at him "JJ leave him alone he's just trynna do his job."

"Gary! Good to see you man!" JJ hollars as his feet meet the ground.

"You're just asking for it," Kie grins, watching her friend run into the house.

The pogues run through the house and jump over a fence. John B, Kie and Emilie being the first to enter the van.

"Hurry up slowpokes" Emilie calls from the van.

"Bus is leaving!" John B yells out as Pope jumps in the van. JJ climbing in shortly after.

"Check out Gary, gunning for a raise!" Pope calls out.

"Come on Gary!" JJ yelled at the security guard.

"Wait, slow down!" He calls to John B, who does as he's told. JJ leans out the door, holding out the can. " You're so close! You can do it!" He throws the can at Gary. "They don't pay you enough, bro!"

"JJ, stop" Emilie says as she pulls him back in the van closing the door.

The friends continue to drive through the island. 

"The outer banks paradise on earth, it's the sort of place where you either have 2 jobs or 2 houses, 2 tribes one island."

"That's figure 8, the rich side of the island, home of the kooks, so guess where we don't live."

"That's the south side, or the cut, home of the working class who make a living bussing tables, washing yachts, running charters. Natural habitat of, drumroll please...The Pogues. The Pogues the Poguies, the throw away fish, lowest member of the food chain. The downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. The upside of Pogue life, we're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want whenever we want."

"That's JJ, my best friend since the third grade."

"He's about as local as they come, latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, vendetta-holding salt-lifter who make their living off the water. Best surfer I know, other than Emilie, just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and future tax cheat."

"That's Kiara, or Kie as we call her. When she's not listening to Marley or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why though, she a rich kid, foot in both worlds. Her family owns "The Wreck" which is this Outer Banks institution, total cash cow for the tourists. I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us, they adore Em though she even refers to Mr. Carerra as her bestie for the restie. Me and Pope both kinda have a thing for her."

"That's Pope, the brains of the operation, finalist for the Lucas T Vanderhorst Merit schlorship. Smartest person that I know. His father is this legendary character named Heyward, also Emilie's bestie. Anything you wanted on the island Heyward could get it for you. I'm not really sure if Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but he's a Pogue like the rest of us."

"Lastly there's Emilie. Emilie, Em, Emmy B, M&M or some cutesy nickname if you're JJ. Emilie lives on figure 8, like Kiara. Her father is a great man, he's helped me out a lot with DCS. Emilie is definitely the strangest human being I have ever met she's afraid of everything to do with ocean, but she loves surfing. Everybody on the island knows not to mess with her because if you mess with Emilie you get on Steve Bassett's bad side and a beating from JJ. Now you can't get Emilie without Molly, Molly is the sweetest dog ever, very playful. She loves my chicken, which Emilie named Eugene."

"That's my crew, and this is where I live.