Chapter 2.18

We got in the van and drove to the tree we had talked about.

"Guys we're coming up on freeman's church." Pope says. "The church Denmark built for all the slaves he freed.

"There it is, Angel oak." Kie says.

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in." John B said as we drove through the woods and came across a huge puddle of water.

"Hey, wait a second." Pope tells John B. "They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go."

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ ask John B"

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." John B tells him.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

"Yeah."

"Okay, clearly, we made it. No?" Kie asks.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ tells her.

"Just put it in four-wheel drive?" I say as if it were obvious.

"Yeah, well, not everyone drives a Jeep, Emilie." JJ says.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah asks with a smile. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

"She's got a point." John B says.

"Alright. Speed is your friend here, okay?" JJ tells him. "So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother."

"Stick to the high ground in the middle." Pope tells John B.

We all hold on tight as John B starts driving.

"Come on. Punch it." JJ says. "Speed is your friend. You're not going fast enough, John B."

"I'm in second."

"It's gonna slide." I tell them.

"You're fishtailing already." JJ tells him.

"Yeah I know." John B says.

"Not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever." Pope says.

"Put your head back, okay?" John B tells Pope while pushing his head to the backseat.

"I told you we'd make it." John B says.

"Alright, right here. That's good." JJ tells him. "Angel Oak is right through here. Alright, so word to the wise,definitely know that know that gators nest back here so keep your eyes peeled, okay?" He says while opening the door for us. "You don't wanna step on a mama gator. That's the last thing you want."

"They have nests?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Seems like a good place to park." Sarah says.

"Alright. You don't wanna be a Pat Womack." JJ speaks again. "She had her calf chewed off by a gator, right? You know that right?"

"That's actually not true." Kie tells him. "Pat Womack was injured in a car accident, but I hear you."

"Okay, just live in ignorance. But like, she had her calf chewed off by a mama gator. I know that for a fact. They like the brackish water. Wait, hold on. I see something."

"What are you doing?" Kie asks.

JJ smacks the water with a stick.

"Right. Wake them up. that's smart." I say sarcastically.

"I was just making sure it wasn't a gator. That's all, alright?"

I hear Sarah and John B talking behind me.