Chapter 18

Emilie woke up the next morning and went to brush her teeth, she looked a mess. She brushed her hair and put it in two braid. She wore black jean shorts and a gray hoodie. When she walked into the kitchen and her dad enveloped her in a hug.

"Um, good morning?" Emilie said.

"Hailey told me what happened." Her dad informed her.

Emilie's eyes widened, she looked over at Hailey wondering how much she had told her father, not because she didn't trust her dad but because she had already told more people than she was allowed to. Hailey zipped her lips while shaking her head and walked out of the kitchen.

"Do you want me to pay a guy to crush him?" Her dad asked and she laughed lightly.

"I'll crush him." Her brother Josh said putting his plate in the dish washer.

"I wanna come!" Kat said getting up from the table.

"Who's car are we taking?" Bill asked.

"We are not crushing people." Emilie said taking a piece of toast of her twin brother's plate.

"Fuck off." He slapped her hand.

Emilie and Bill then started hitting each other and the toast ended up on the floor and Molly ate it, luckily only peanut butter was on it.

"Oh lord," Her stepmother said entering the kitchen watching them.

"oH lOrD." All the siblings mocked her. They burst out laughing.

Emilie was very grateful to have a family that could make her laugh even at her lowest.

"Well it's been fun but I need to help Kiara with something." Emilie said.

"Are you sure, what if he who shall not be named is there." Her dad said knowing if he said JJ's name it would make her cry again.

"Stop, drop and roll." Emilie said.

"That's for a fire dumbass." Josh said.

"Whatever." She grabbed her keys and walked out the door.

As she drove to John B's she contemplated turning around and staying home until she had to go back to Kansas. Although she wanted to get back together with JJ she was terrified to face him.

She pulled into John B's driveway and took a deep breath.

"This is it, don't get scared now." She told herself.

She walked to the backyard and realized there was a hot tub.

"What the hell." She muttered.

She walked up behind Pope and took his hat placing it backwards on her head.

"Whatchya doin?" Emilie asked.

"Testing this to see if John B will make it down to the well." Pope told her.

Emilie nodded.

"Building a rocket or fighting a mummy or climbing up..." Emilie started singing but stopped when she felt JJ's eyes on her and it made her want to drown herself in the Marsh.

"How are doing?" Kie asked Emilie.

"Huh?" She was zoned out and didn't hear properly.

"JJ kind of had a breakdown last night, he told us what happened."

It took everything in Emilie not to breakdown right then and there.

"Trying not to burst into tears. I get an "A" for effort, right?" She answered.