Chapter 23

Poley's POV
I turned around and saw someone I've never met before.
He had a lab coat, an axe and glasses on.
He was a kangaroo.
"My name is Kaelan, and yours?" he reached out his hand to greet me.
"Poley, sir," I said.

Kaelan lowered his hand after a few seconds of awkward silence

"If you mistook an infected for a survivor again, Kael, I swear I will—" a coyote appeared from behind a tree.
"I'm not infected," I assured him.
"Oh alright then, my name is Cody. Yours?" he let out a sigh of relief.
"Poley, sir," I repeated.
"Poley, are you alone?" Cody asked.

Should I tell him? What if he's like Willow and the rest of TSP?"Why do you want to know?" I finally spoke up

Should I tell him?
What if he's like Willow and the rest of TSP?
"Why do you want to know?" I finally spoke up.
"We're looking for survivors. We found a cure and need help distributing it," Kaelan explained.
A cure...? That meant Doggy would be okay.
Hold on, didn't Y/N say Willow mentioned a cure at some point?
Still, I can't take any chances.
"Give me one reason to trust you," I said.
"We're in the middle of nowhere, so unless you have a tent, you've got no roof to sleep under," Cody stated, "And given how defensive you are, you probably have some friends or family you're taking care of."

"Is.. is he a psychologist?" I thought.
"I'm not; I'm just good at reading people. Also, you asked if I was a psychologist out loud," Cody giggled.
"That's still not a reason I should trust you," I answered.
"If we show where we're staying will you trust us?" Kaelan asked.
"How do I know it's not a trap?" I rebuffed.
"Has someone hurt you lately?" Mr.Should-Be-A-Psychologist-Coyote questioned.
"It's a long story, the short of it is a certain "Willow Wolf" caused a friend of mine to be infected and destroyed the place where my friends and I lived," I opened up. I'm not completely sure why; I guess I figured it wouldn't hurt.
"Willow? We've run into her too, she's stolen from us. Her minions have a base not too far from here," Cody commented.

I froze in fear. Willow was nearby? What am I even scared of? What could I lose—?
Y/N, and everyone else.
"Fine, I'll go with you," I said.
"And your friends?" Kaelan asked.
"I'll show you where they are," I finally caved in.

Y/N's POV
I went to go look for Poley once Georgie calmed down.
"Poley? Poley, where are you? Officer Poley?" I started to get worried.
Was I even searching in the right direction?
"Poley!?" I cried again.
I felt something touch my arm.

"Ahh!" I shouted.
"Boo!" Poley laughed.
"You sacred me!" I hugged him.
"So, Y/N, these are Cody and Kaelan. They have a safe place," Poley pointed to each of the, respectively.
I was relieved. We really needed a place to stay.
"Nice to meet you both!" I smiled.

"Nice to meet you, too, Y/N. At least one of you isn't shut off to talking to new people," Cody reached his hand to greet me.
I shook his hand and then turned to my friend, "Poley, what did you say?"
"I was just trying to make sure the whole thing wasn't a trap, okay?" he defended himself.
"Which way's back to the others?" I asked.
Poley grabbed my arm, "Just follow me."

Pony's POV
For some unknown f*cking reason, Poley thought it would be a good idea to just tell complete strangers were we live!
And now we're going to their base so we get infected or killed!

I looked over to Zee and Zuzy.
I have to protect them; for Zizzy.
"Zee, Zuzy, stay close to me," I said, grabbing each of them by one hand.
Kaelan looked over to us, and smiled.

Zee's POV
I smiled back at Mr.Kaelan.
Him and Cody seem like nice people.
I'm very glad they're helping us; it's very selfless of them.