Chapter Twelve: Colby

Colby: Sam, I'm sorry, but Vincent contacted me. I'm part of his crew now. 
Colby: He doesn't want us to talk to each other if it's not on his orders.
Colby: See you at school.

That was last week.
         It's been a week since I've texted Sam, or even had a friendly conversation with him. It was Monday, and I was leaving for school as gloomy as I'd been for the past week. During math first period, I sat with Vincent and his goons. I finally learned their names. The blond one's name was Dylan and the ginger was Darin. They were cousins, and Vincent found it convenient to have two boys who were related as his goons. Why he found this convenient I wouldn't know.
         Sam sat in the seat in front of me. I don't know why but he's persistent in trying to talk me out of being part of Vincent's gang. Speaking of the devil, he was in the middle of crumbling last night's homework, staring intently at Sam, who was focused on what the teacher was saying. I shifted my gaze back to Vincent, only to find he was already looking at me. He gestured to me, his crumpled paper, and then at Sam. I knew what he was asking me to do. Sighing internally, I smirked at him and began to crumple an extra piece of paper from my math binder. I quickly looked to make sure the teacher wasn't paying attention, and, once confirming he was not, threw the crumpled paper at Sam. It hit him right in the head.
         He looked back at me, a pleading look in his eyes. I knew what they were saying.
Please don't do this, Colby.
         He'd been texting me this for a few days. I ignored his texts, as Vincent had requested. But then, seeing the pleading look on Sam's face, I felt guilty. It wasn't just then, either. Last week, too, I felt guilty. But I can't do anything about it.
         Because for people like me, being Top Dog is, and can be, all that we have. 
         I sat there listening to Vincent, Dylan and Darin chuckle silently, so as not to be heard by the teacher. I sat there smirking on the outside, while on the inside, my gut was telling me what I was doing was wrong.
         Mouthing loser to Sam, I watched as the hope slowly burned out of his eyes. They looked darker now. A dark blue instead of the light blue colour they naturally are. It was only beginning to dawn on me that I had lost one of the best things that had ever happened to me.
         But of course, me being me, I let my pride and the stupid idea I was now untouchable get the better of me. I pushed down the thoughts of guilt as Sam turned away from me.
         But not before I saw the tear fall from his eye.