Chapter Eight: Sam

"Hello?" I called out into the dark abyss. I was curled into a ball in a sore attempt to keep myself warm. I didn't know where I was. I was scared. I was scared for me and I was scared for him. I don't know what happened. I was with him. We were together, on a beach, walking alongside the shore. It was peaceful: the two of us walking hand-in-hand on a warm summer's day. The light gust of wind blowing his chocolate-brown hair into his beautiful face. The sound of his voice overtop the caw of the seagulls flying above. 
   "Hello?"  I called again. "Is anyone there?" My voice shook slightly from the cold. I could faintly see puffs of smoke that were my breath. "Please, someone help me!"  
And then I heard it. 
It was barely audible, but I heard it. 
   "Sam!" My heart pounded in my chest, threatening to escape. 
   "Sam!" It called again. "Sam, help me!" The person to whom the voice belonged gave me the strength I needed. I slowly began to stand and move toward the voice.
   "I'm coming!" I answered. "I'm coming! Please hold on!" 
   "Sam," the voice was becoming quieter and quieter the closer I got.
   "Sam," it said again. "Sam, I love you."

   I woke up in a cold sweat. I sat up as tears began to pour from my eyes. I've had dreams of this boy time and time again, and yet none of them have been like this one. They have all been happy, none of them brought the feeling of sorrow along with them. I sat in my bed letting the tears fall from my eyes. I wasn't really keeping track of how long it took, but my crying ceased.
   I checked my phone for the time and saw that I woke up just a few minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I decided to get up and get ready for school. 
   As I was packing my bag I received a text from an unknown number. 
   Hi Is what it read. I wasn't sure who it was, but my curiosity got the best of me and I responded. 
   Hello?
Hi. Um, you don't know me but you know one of my friends. His name is Brennen? 
I don't know him all that well... I only just met him... I was getting slightly angry at Brennen. Was he one of those people who once they had your number they just went around giving it to random people without your permission? If he was, he had some serious explaining-
That's okay. He gave me your number because today will be my first day at your school,  I wondered why this person texted me and not Jake or Corey. Maybe Brennen never gave them their numbers? 
   Okay. I'm Sam. Sam Golbach. What's your name? 
   My name is Colby.
   No last name? I teased.
   It's Brock. Colby Brock, he responded.
   Well, Colby Brock, it was nice to meet you, even if it was just over text :)
   You too, Sam. Hey, I was wondering if you'd show me around the school today?
   Yeah, sure. Just meet me inside the main entrance, I replied.
   Great. See you at school, then. Bye
   Bye

   I arrived at the school about half an hour before the bell. I made my way toward the main entrance of the school. I walked through the doors to see a crowd of people inside. I slowly walked toward the crowd.
   "Colby?" I called, looking around for an unfamiliar face.
   Then a voice from behind me said, "I'm here."
   When I turned, my heart stopped beating for a split second, as I looked into the eyes of the boy from my dreams. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word Count - 618