chapter two

happy chapter two! reflecting on this fic, i actually think this is one of my favorite fics i've written, right alongside North. so please enjoy the next part of my story!!!! as always, leave comments and votes!!

warnings: munch, talk of sexual acts
word count: 3.6k

KENDALL

i stare at myself in the mirror, smoothing my hands over the bottom of my dress. i shuffle back and forth on my feet, wondering if i should change my shoes from white to black. or maybe from back a statement color. maybe i should just change the dress entirely.

but i glance back at the clock and see i'm already late and if i don't leave now i'll never go. i ignore my hesitance about my shoes and grab my clutch and keys, rushing out of my house.

my hands are trembling as i step out of my car and tuck my keys protectively in my clutch. i show my id to the bouncer and he lets me in with a smile and a gesture of his arm. with one more deep breath, i step inside.

the bar is brighter than i thought it would be and is packed with just as many people as i expected. it's not nearly as intimidating as i hyped myself up for, and as soon as i step in, at least three people have already smiled at me. the whole room is reserved for this event and there's people everywhere. sitting at the bar, leaning against walls, lounging on couches.

i immediately go to the bar and get myself a drink, hoping that a little bit of alcohol will calm my nerves. i thank and pay the bartender and then turn, wondering what the hell i'm supposed to do now. everyone seems to already know everyone and i feel like an outcast, hanging in the background like the kid sitting along at lunch. so i just stand there for a few minutes, people watching and wondering if it's best that i just leave. leaving would probably be the best option.

but then a woman in a tight black dress approaches me with a smile. "hi there, honey. i noticed you don't have a name tag."

i glance down at her chest, then behind her at the people on the couch and see that, sure enough, everyone has a name tag. "oh, no. you're right."

"lucky for you," she holds up a name tag and a sharpie, "i've got them. i'm candy," she points to her own tag, "i'm the host."

"i'm kendall," i shake her hand and then she scribbles my name on the tag. i quickly pin it to the top of my dress.

"so," candy settles beside me, also leaning against the bar, "am i wrong to assume this is your first munch?"

my cheeks get hot and i keep my gaze down on my drink. "is it that obvious?"

"a little," she snickers but it doesn't feel chastising. "it's okay though. everyone here was a first-timer once. talk to anyone and everyone, get educated, make connections. if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to come talk to me. i'll be around."

"right, thank you," and with that, she disappears into the sea of people.

clutching my drink close to me, i make my first bold decision of the night: to brave the crowd.

a guy bumps into me and immediately apologizes, and i manage to mumble out an apology before pressing on. the same thing happens again, a taller woman nearly steps on my foot and apologizes profusely.

i finally manage to make it though the first group of people and i'm faced with another cluster of people. i try to push through but i don't even make it a quarter of the way through before my heel gets tangled in someone's shoelace and i trip, going falling to the floor. but thankfully, a hand flies out and catches me before i can get too far down.