chapter four

warnings: none!
word count: 3k

MATTHEW

a week goes by far too slowly. i'm constantly checking my phone to see if kendall has reached out to cancel, and tapping my feet all the time, and rethinking my outfit far too many times. kendall is an internationally famous couture fashion designer and i can't be around her looking gross or messy or wear something unflattering. i don't want her to be embarrassed to be around me.

and i just can't get her out of my mind. her perfectly messy brown curls, her nose piercings, the tattoos on her arms and legs and back, her sparkling green eyes, her melodious laugh, the way she wiggles her hips when she's excited, the way her eyes light up too. she seems like the perfect woman, she really does.

but i can't have her. i really can't. she's way out of my league, first of all. and she's looking for a dominant to enter this universe with her. she doesn't want me as her dominant. and if i can't have her, the least i can do is set her up with someone who will take care of her. i'm not looking to sabotage. i'm looking to protect her. the last thing i want is for kendall to get hurt.

so friday night rolls around and i rush home from work and decline the offer to go out for drinks. shemar complains but i ignore him, grabbing my backpack and practically running to my car. i speed home and get right in a shower. i deep wash my entire body and arrange my hair perfectly. at least, as close to perfection as i can get it.

i change into a sleek black suit and put my converse on. but maybe my converse are too beat up. maybe i should wear my dress shoes for tonight. i'll look better and i want kendall to think i look good. maybe the dirty and old converse are not the way to go. but just as i go to change, kendall texts me to let me know she's ready to go. so i decide to rough it with the converse, do one more look at myself in the mirror, and leave again.

kendall comes strutting out of her house in the most perfect little black dress that hugs her curves in the best way. she turns her back to me to lock the door and then throws her purse over her shoulder, grinning at me with big red lips. i jump out of the car and open the passenger door for her. her grin grows somehow and she pauses in front of me. "hi there!"

"hi," i echo, clutching the door handle. "you look really good."

"oh, thanks," she glances down at her outfit like she forgot what she was wearing. "i'm still not really sure what the dress code for munches are. i figured a little black dress fits any occasion."

"you look perfect, don't even worry," i tell her, gesturing to the car.

kendall steps forward to get in the car, but pauses and then looks me up and down. she runs her hand down the lapel of my suit jacket, fixing it just slightly. "you look really good. this looks good on you."

i wiggle my shoulders a bit and kendall giggles. "thank you. and that means a lot coming from you."

she waves her hand dismissively and climbs into the car, leaving me to close the door for her. i run to the drivers side and jump in, driving off. the radio is on low as i leave the neighborhood and get on the parkway.

"so," kendall shifts in her seat, clutching her purse in her lap, "is there anything i should know? like— the first munch was fine and i feel like i did okay with the rules but— i don't know."

"well, from what i saw, you followed the rules perfectly and did everything you were supposed to do." kendall beams at this, her shoulders visibly dropping to release the tension she held. i smile at that but i don't reach over like i want to. "this time, you can stick to me, okay? i'm gonna introduce you to some people who i think you'll like and some people who are very knowledgeable about bdsm."