2. Shadows

Someone had entered the garden. No, two. He could feel their presence through the shadows he spread. He blew out the candle and slipped it back in his pocket; and then hid behind a tree next to the fresh Camelia bushes. His chestnut hair and emerald eyes made up a perfect camouflage.

He heard a soft thud upfront, but he didn't have the time to see what had fallen when two figures emerged. It was Kathea and...Her friend; he guessed. Are they looking for something?

A moment later, he was lost in his thoughts. Here in this garden, in the forest beyond, it was home. Not this prison that he was now glaring at. Dawn had emerged, which made it clear for him to see the gawking blond girl on the second hall's window. She then ran away.

'I must warn them', he thought to himself. He turned to find them next to the bush. They got too close without him noticing. And Kathea, covered those flowers with snow! He always thought he shared something similar with that raven-haired beauty. Unlike him though, her powers were as pure as that snow that she made. He had now confirmed that what he had suspected was true.

He got lost in his thoughts again, and now Mrs. Patricia's wrath could be felt from miles away. He should have acted faster, but that magic took him by awe.

He watched them rush into the building, and as he rose to touch that snow it quickly melted away with a soft blue fire. This fire must be hers. The other girl— Iliana, is definitely human.

He stood in the sun to cast a shadow, then he opened a portal, slipped through it to appear right in front the Director's office.

The door was slightly open, so he could see what was happening inside. The office was cozy, and everything in there was made of oak wood. Mrs. Patricia was a slim old lady, and certainly lacks human compassion.

She now took the whip out of her closet, and gestured them to stand side by side. Iliana was about to cry, and Kathea kept her body straight and looked Mrs. Patricia right in the eye; even though fear clearly clouded them.

"Ten lashes each", at this point, he couldn't tell what was harder, the whip or the tone of her voice?

 "P-p-please, w-we won't do it again", Iliana was already crying as she stuttered out her plea.

"Don't you dare talk back to me! I have said loud and clear, that my garden was not to be touched. Guess I wasn't clear enough!"

"It's my fault Mrs. Patricia!" screamed Kathea at the top of her lungs, "I dragged Iliana forcefully, I should receive the punishment on her behalf." Iliana brought up both of her hands to stifle her scream.

"Well if you are that eager, then you shall receive double"

"I agree"

"Kathea no!" Iliana held her friends' hand in an attempt to stop her. "Mrs. Patricia it was my idea to—"

"Who said you are not to be whipped?", Kathea's eyes widened at that, and without any warning Mrs. Patricia began whipping Iliana on her legs. Ten lashes.

Iliana screamed each and every time, her legs began to redden, and Daemon felt like he was going to pass out.

Kathea didn't even flinch; Daemon was starting to shake, sweat was already forming on his temples. This was horrible. Twenty nerve wrecking lashes for Kathea.

"You are going to have your breakfast alone in your room, you are not allowed to leave the room until noon, I hope my orders are clear this time"

Kathea only stared back as Iliana muttered her approval. They were leaving, he should escape. He slipped back into his shadow and into the hallway that leads to the girl's room.

Weak footsteps on the stairs. They are here. The moment that Kathea saw him, she leaped at him.

She held him by his throat and pinned him into the wall. Her cognac eyes were burning like fire, almost red with the sunlight hitting half of her face. He was taken by surprise and didn't act back. She was strong for a small girl. After all, she is not a human.

"How dare you?", oh they saw him in the garden. They must have misunderstood.

"You should have told Patricia that you went out to stop me", he said her name casually like it holds no title. But it's true; they could have sold him off.

That seemed to have angered her even further, as she inched him closer and then smacked his body back into the wall. He should tell her.

He breathed in, and then...Blood? He looked down and saw a wound under Iliana's knee.

"I could make you a salve", he offered. That made Kathea pause for a second.

"We don't want anything from you", with that they went back into their room. He didn't expect her to act that way. But he has to admit, she exceeded his expectations.

 Kathea was too kind, even though she held him, she made no move to harm him. He could tell that the scent of her friend's blood was breaking her heart. Iliana didn't even seem to notice the blood trickling down her leg.

He went into the forest, to collect the herbs he needed. The orphanage was built on a hill top, it was surrounded by a forest, and it was all surrounded by a giant wall with several gates. The orphanage was self-sufficient regarding food. They had a farm on the other side of the hill.

On his way to the boy's dorm, he heard a voice admitting that it was the one who told Mrs. Patricia. And was bragging about it. That blonde...

He followed the voice and found out that it was Annie, and her roommate Rebecca. Now, right before everyone is up, would be the right time to end this mess. He walked right up to her and pulled her closer with her arm.

"Daemon you're hurting me!"

"What do you think you are doing to my best friend?", said Rebecca.

"Apologize", he breathed. "At noon, you go up to Kathea, and apologize." Annie only laughed at him.

"Me? Say sorry to that weird animal? She only got what she deserved don't you think?" Rebecca nodded in agreement. Daemon only tightened his grip.

 "You did not see what I saw, she is a witch! She is one of those dirty creatures that came to our human lands and they should just be gone!"

He hates hitting girls, but this was different. She was messing with his pride. He grabbed her by the collar and glared.

"If you don't apologize to her Annie, I am going to make you wish you were never born!" Yup, he was at his limit now. She shouldn't have insulted his kind.

"O-o-okay, I get it, don't scare me like that...", he then threw her to the floor and left, hoping that he had scared her enough to not dare to speak of Kathea's ability in front of the high director.

"What the hell is wrong with him" said Rebecca, cowering in the corner.

"That witch, she must have made him fall for her!"

"You mean that, Daemon will never be your boyfriend?"

"Shut up! I will not let her take him away!  Daemon is mine".

The bell for breakfast rang, and everyone headed to the dining room.