32. Brother

Iliana began dissembling the shelter she built, packing her stuff, and readying herself to go back to the camp. She didn't experiment on the ring and its abilities, it felt like magic practice was foreign; she'll discuss this with Kathea once she arrives.

"So, uh, this is goodbye?", asked Darren from behind her, his wounds were fully healed, but scared.

"Of course not, silly, I'll see you when I'm out hunting. I'd love to annoy another mystical beast from his slumber"

"Ooh I know a bunch of places", he said enthusiastically, "I'll walk you to the camp skirts"

"What a gentleman", they both laughed at that.

After a long walk, Darren insisted he'd carry her luggage, but she refused.

"I'd rather not damage your nails, princeling", she teased.

"Having clean, neat, claws, doesn't necessarily put them in the pretty nail category. I can kill with those"

"And then use a special gore brush?". He nudged her, and she laughed.

"I'll have to stop here", he said suddenly.

"What? Why? We still have miles to go! Don't tell you're pissed I didn't let you carry my stuff"

"Iliana, go"

"No, Darren. Whatever it is just tell me. We're friends"

A viper snake cut Darren's reply. Iliana looked up to see another shirtless viper, an assumed that he might be a prince as well. His spiky scales were crimson with a black tip. He shifted to his half form; he had short black hair tipped with red.

"Hello brother", he hissed.

"Hello Aiden. Before you settle your score with me, I need to have a word with her"

The fiery viper jerked his head in a yes, but also showing impatience.

"Iliana, this is my brother Aiden. I need to talk to him privately"

"He doesn't look like he wants to talk". Indeed, Aiden's claws were digging deep in his palms, his tongue caressed his lethal fangs. She didn't know if it was the ring, but she could smell the fury in his dripping blood. "I thought this was over, you ran away. He can get married now".

"A young viper prince may not get married unless the elders marry first", he reminded her, "Or death had claimed them".

Iliana's eyes widened at the missing piece of information, and then it hit her; Darren didn't run away, he was offering himself for his brother to kill.

"No, no, please", she said looking in Aiden's direction.

Before Aiden could deem Iliana in his way, and proceed to eliminate her, Darren kicked her away with his tail.

Aiden charged, his nails digging deep in Darren's chest. Almost like he wished to carve out his heart. Darren on the other hand, didn't lift a finger.

"You were my favorite brother, and I hate to do this Darren! But you had no idea what leaving our camp did to me!", he slammed down his tail on Darren's face. Darren hit his back on a tree, and fell to the ground. "They were mocking us Darren! But you know what? I'll be the eldest now! I'll continue our royal blood; I have waited for too long Darren! TOO LONG!"

He shifted to a full snake, he opened his mouth, venom dripping from his fangs, promising a quick painful death. He struck, his teeth hitting an unexpected target. Iliana held out an arrow in Aiden's face, it was long enough. She pushed forward, careful that the wood won't snap from pressure.