4. Monster

Kathea was shocked to see Daemon. And then she realized that she was in no adequate state to see him. She immediately crossed her arms in an attempt to hide her face.

"I don't want to see you, go away", cried Kathea.

"What, I didn't do anything. Wait, did I scare you? Kathea we both have powers"

"I know. And you did nothing wrong—", she gasped; holding her leg. "So please just leave me alone".

"I think you need some help"

"I'm fine"

"Sure, why don't you stand up?", he waited for her response. "Come on, I'm waiting"

"GO AWAY!", she screamed while throwing hay at him. At last, her will failed her just as her tears came streaming down. "No, I am not okay! I can't stand up, and I'm covered in shit! My humiliation is complete. Now leave me alone". What was more mortifying, is that she couldn't stop ugly crying in front of him.

With a swift movement, Daemon scooped her up in his arms; and walked out of the barn. Kathea was truly blushing at this point. For a fourteen-year-old, he was a bit sturdy.

"You have a lovely heart Kathea"

"I am really sorry for all the things I did to you Daemon", she replied. "I really misunderstood you.

"Many people do. But it was really easy for me to understand you", he looked her in the eye; his forest green eyes burning. "And what I like most is that we are both from Lemuria"

"This name rings a bell"

"It's the continent on were people like you and me live", he explained. "I wish I could go back".

"I do too sometimes. Even though I don't remember everything as well as you do. But I am human after all and I wish to stay with Iliana"

"Wrong Kathea, you are not a human", Kathea gave him a surprised look, eagerly waiting for a reply. "You are a Furie. A lovely one at that."

"This term is not foreign either, but wow no wonder I— Daemon you really are a nice person", he said she was lovely.

"Thank you", he smiled. Kathea smiled back, and started to feel a bit awkward now that they reached the play filed.

"Kathea?", he asked without looking at her.

"Yes?"

 "You stink". She punched him hard, and they both laughed.

Iliana was already waiting at the entrance. Kathea gave Daemon an inquisitive look.

"After she told me with whom you went, I asked her to wait here for us"

"Kathea! Oh my god what happened!", Daemon only gave Iliana an acknowledging glance, and headed directly to the infirmary.

There she received a bath and had her leg splinted. Iliana couldn't help but marvel at the way Fiona bandaged it. She had to ask Fiona if she could do the same for the bird upstairs, on which she whole-heartedly agreed to do. Kathea was then moved back to her room.

Since Daemon wasn't allowed in the girl's dorm, he decided to shadow-slip inside.

"Here's your salve", he said by the way of greeting as he threw a tin to Iliana.

"I think she needs it more", she suggested.

"Nah, she'll heal in two days or so. Long story short, she is not a human; she is a Furie", Iliana wasn't even surprised.

They kept on chatting until nightfall; and the girls warmed up to him. He then excused himself, and promised Kathea that they will explore their abilities together as soon as she heals.

Later that night, Kathea and Iliana were both contemplating on what it would be like if they both went back to Kathea's homeland. She was able to recall that the kingdom where she lived in was called Dorthea. Which was the name crafted on Kathea's emblem.

Their conversation was soon cut by a blood-chilling scream. Regardless of Iliana's protests, Kathea insisted on checking what was wrong. Because of her injury, they were a bit late. Almost everyone was gathered in front of Annie's and Rebecca's door.

"Move!", screamed Mrs. Patricia. They all instantly formed two lines flanking by the door side. Rebecca was pale as death, shaking on the floor.

"M-monster!", she cried. She then spotted Kathea and ran to her, only to fall again. "I'm s-sorry, f-f-f-forgiiive...", her loud crying filled the hallway. She then pointed into the room. No one tried to stop Kathea and Iliana as they made their way inside; Even Mrs. Patricia, that was too busy interrogating the now broken-minded girl.

The atmosphere was chilling. They had two separate beds, unlike Kathea's. And there was Annie, casually sitting on her bed; staring into nothing. It was too dark.

"Annie?", asked Iliana. No answer. Kathea created a fireball; and to their horror, Annie was as pale as death. She appeared to be paralyzed, but she must have seen something that had put her in this shocked state. No matter what you did, she wouldn't respond; Couldn't. Iliana threw up.

Annie was immediately moved down to join Rebecca at the infirmary. Mrs. Patricia started screaming at everyone to go back to their rooms, but Kathea was totally absorbed by what had happened. As she turned to leave, she spotted a shadow spiral down the stairs. Was he here to see what was this all about, because boys aren't allowed here—No, he couldn't have heard that scream. Unless... No Daemon can't possibly do that. Right?

Well there was only one way to find out. She grabbed Iliana's wrist, and slipped between the crowd.