24. Trap

"You got what I asked for?", said the Utor to the other. He pulled out a wooden box, with strings like a cage. The Utor coiled its thin fingers around the object, her sharp nails digging in.

"Hello Sonus", crooned the Utor.

"Hello Furie eater, what would a cursed cannibal want with me?", Sonus was as old as dust, it was not a female, nor a male; just like the Utors, genderless. Sonus was simply a sound.

The first Utor, who had a goat skull on its face, gave the creature a lipless smile. Its mouth looked like someone had punched a hole through its face, shark like teeth gleaning .

"Oh, who doesn't know our little story. That we were once Furies, that we ate our kind, and then turned into this. A Furie queen turned us into this. A faceless, nameless, genderless monster", hissed the creature. "That queen had died a long time ago; but how fun would it be to taunt her descendant"

"It's a shame I don't know your real name", spoke Sonus in a hushed melodical voice. Sonus, was once free. It missed the days when it made music between the dry tree branches, and the low hushing of the river. It can make you hear whatever you want, as a result it was trapped in a wooden box with a hole lined with magical strings. When played, it gives the most beautiful music anyone can here, but that depends on the beauty of the player's heart.

"Oh, sure it is a shame", she said, "I have a new use for you Sonus, this time you won't play to reveal what's in our hearts". She gave wooden cage to here brother, and asked him to begin playing.

The second Utor focused on one thing only, its desire to revenge on the sun Furies. He had no idea where the music would reach, who would be the one to hear, and what. He played and played his rotten heart out.

The survival test began, and Edana was looking for a suitable place to camp in. As she wondered, she heard someone call her name. She turned around and found no one.

"Edana~", the sweet male voice called again. She almost recognized it. No, it couldn't be.

"I'm here love", her heart melted at that.

"Father?!", she screamed out, Breathing heavily, "Father! Where are you!"

"Edana~", he sang. She hurried, following her father's voice. Her body was shaking, this can't be! He died on duty. Closer, she was closer now. She moved the branches away, and found herself at the dead side of the forest. The side where Dorthea ends, where grass never grew, and the tress where dead. She found two hollowed out figures, with goat masks on their faces, standing menacingly. Her heart dropped, but she heard her father again.

"What did you hear sweetie?", said a humanoid voice, that gave Edana goosebumps.

"Father! You have my father!". The monsters only looked at each other.

"We do in fact have your father", said the one with a creepy wooden box.

"What do you want? Give him to me, I beg you!"

"Why would I trust you? How can I be so sure that you won't kill me if I give him to you?", they played on.

"I'll do anything!". Without further do, they got directly into the point.

"Then die".

"What?"

Poor clueless Edana had hoped to reunite with her father, but instead she met a blunt to the head with a stone axe.

"This is going to be fun", it said.