The Maiden in the Tower

Once upon a time, in a charming house in the big city, there lived a happy, loving married couple. Their names were Serenity and Endymion and they wanted children for many years. One day, they realized that their wish was going to come true. They were going to have a child. The couple lived right next door to an enormous garden, but no one dared to go near it because it belonged to a woman named Beryl. She also wields great magical powers far beyond anyone's control. Because of these powers, she was often called a witch by the locals.

Almost every day, when she finished her daily chores, Serenity would sit at the window in her bedroom and gaze at the beautiful flowers that grew in the witch's garden next door. She desperately wanted to have a taste of at least some of the luscious greenery and vegetables, but because of her neighbor's rude and selfish behavior, she was never able to.

One night, Serenity had grown ill. Endymion stayed close to his wife's side at every waking moment, caring for her as best as he could. No matter what he tried, Serenity was never getting any better. In fact, it seemed like she was getting worse every day.

"Please Serenity. What is it I can do to make you feel better?" Endymion asked, desperately concerned for his wife's well-being.

"Endymion. Listen to me, please. I need you to do something very, very important for me," Serenity said weakly.

"Anything, dear. Name it and it's done," Endymion said.

"If...if I don't have even a taste of some of the radishes from our neighbor's garden soon, I'll die," Serenity said as she weakly stroked her husband's hair with her hand.

Endymion looked at his wife. She looked so weak and pale, she had to be serious.

"Alright, darling. If it's radishes you want, radishes you'll have," he said as he kissed his wife's forehead.

That night, Endymion went outside towards his neighbor's property to get his wife the radishes she craved. He climbed over the high stone wall that surrounded the piece of land and he entered the garden as quietly as he could. As soon as he entered, he was overtaken by the wondrous sight.

There was a manner of all plants including fruits, vegetables, and herbs of all kinds. And soon enough, he spotted the special radishes near a wall of purple grape vines. But just as he was about to grab some and run, in a red flash, the Witch appeared right in front of him with an enraged expression on her face. He let out a cry in fright as he backed away from her.

"Hold it right there! How dare you steal from my garden?!" The woman shrieked in anger. "Unless you have a very good excuse, you will pay for your crimes!"

Endymion stood tall in front of the woman before him.

"Please don't harm me, madam," he calmly pleaded. "These radishes are for my wife, Serenity. She's pregnant with my first child and she told me that she needs to eat some of the radishes from your garden or she'll die. So, can I please...?"

"Alright, alright! I get it!" The Witch yelled in an annoyed tone, then composed herself and spoke to him in a calm tone. Then she thought of something before continuing her statement.

"You know what, Mr. Endymion? I'll give you a deal. As of right now, you can take as many of my radishes as you like, but on one condition."

"Really? What is it?" Endymion slowly asked.

"In exchange, you must give me something precious to you."

"What do you want?"

"I want the child."

"What?!"

"You heard me. Either you give me the baby after it's born or else."

Endymion was shocked. He would never stoop so low as to make a deal like that and give away his only child. But he was so desperate to save his wife that he agreed to the woman's demands and he left the garden with his saddlebag full of radishes. He returned home and he brought the radishes to his wife. When they were brought to her, Serenity ate them all with great pleasure. To her, they tasted so sweet with the slightest hint of spice, probably the best thing she ever tasted.